Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· 2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never in my life owned any type of fish.... But my friend got me into Piranhas. I love watching them eat, reminds me of US. Anyway what I ask has been asked before so please forgive me but I am going to ask anyway. I have been reading the forums for the past 4 hours. So I do know a little.

How do I keep my pair of 1.5" RBP happy and alive. HOw often does one clean the tank and how? What do I need? Had them for a about a week and been feeding them everyday feeders. I have the pair in a 25 gallon tank. I dont like asking the people who work at a Fish store what I need because I have found that all slaesmen, regardless of what they sell, try to get people to buy stuff they dont need. Help me PLEASE..... I have the tank setup with the filter, heater, and some drift wood. I want to buy a 60 gallon tank so that I can buy 8 or 10 more RBP.

Any info would be great.

Also if you are going to post to just make fun or ect. then don't.

· Registered
468 Posts
its better to have 3 rbp instead of just 2 to avoid fighting

· Registered
1,869 Posts
You just need to keep up general maintanance on the tank.

1. 25%water change every week

2. keep glass clean from algae (to spot any injuries to the fish)

3. regualy check to make sure your water is what it should be (ammonia,nitrate and e.t.c)

If you want to house 8 piranhas for life i suggest you buy a 160g tank as its 20g per piranha otherwise they will fight and even kill each other.

· Registered
468 Posts
and a 60 gallon isnt big enough for 10-12 rbp for life

· Peace....Through Superior Firepower
10,552 Posts
First Off Welcome aboard !!!!!

How do I keep my pair of 1.5" RBP happy and alive.
Add a third friend to the Party ....
HOw often does one clean the tank and how?
I gravel vac (or clean) Once a Week ....
Had them for a about a week and been feeding them
everyday feeders.
Feeders are a bad source of food , they carry disease and can harm your fish if not quarentined properly .
Better foods for them is Pellets , Shrimp , Beefheart , White Fish fillet , Smelt .
I have the pair in a 25 gallon tank.
Get a Bigger tank buddy like a 60 gallon ...
In General Piranhas need 20 gallons apiece ..
I want to buy a 60 gallon tank so that I can buy 8 or 10
more RBP.
8 to 10 p's you would need at least a 180 ...

Good Luck

3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MR HARLEY said:
I gravel vac (or clean) Once a Week ....

[snapback]832158[/snapback]​
So do you mean I can ether change the water once a week or use a gravel vac??

10,552 Posts
sadboy1981 said:
So do you mean I can ether change the water once a week or use a gravel vac??
[snapback]832375[/snapback]​
Meaning the Water I take out going through the Rocks takes out enough , I then re fill back up *always remebering to add conditioner* , Hence a water change .
Anytime I clean my tank I always got through the rocks first , after im done if enough water has not been taking out from the gravel Vac (Python) I just let it run alittle more until i think enough water is out , and then refill........

3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MR HARLEY said:
Meaning the Water I take out going through the Rocks takes out enough , I then re fill back up *always remebering to add conditioner* , Hence a water change .
Anytime I clean my tank I always got through the rocks first , after im done if enough water has not been taking out from the gravel Vac (Python) I just let it run alittle more until i think enough water is out , and then refill........
[snapback]832388[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info. By the way I have been reading and found out that some people put salt in the tank with the piranhas. Does one have to do this?

10,552 Posts
sadboy1981 said:
Thanks for the info. By the way I have been reading and found out that some people put salt in the tank with the piranhas. Does one have to do this?
[snapback]832445[/snapback]​
No One does not have to do this , But I do....

10,552 Posts
Filo said:
You should really only put salt if they have injuries...they are FRESH water fish.
[snapback]832461[/snapback]​
And this means What filo ? You dont even own any piranhas , so shushhhh, I think I hear the non-piranha forum calling you or the lounge ....

Yes they are freshwater fish ....Salt Helps produce electrodes which also helps your fish breath better . Sorry But I am an avid user of salt in my P' tanks . and they look great .

· WWTCD?
8,963 Posts
D'oh! Wrong sn. Sorry.

(Long story short - left for nearly a year and came back, couldn't remember my pw or anything, and re-registered only to actually remember everything. Sorry for any confusion.)

10,552 Posts
eurocanadian said:
I've never used salt with any fish, ever... But what type of salt do you use and in what quantities? I was just wondering.
[snapback]832489[/snapback]​
Aquarium Salt , 1Tsp per 5 gallons .

· Registered
10,778 Posts
MR HARLEY said:
And this means What filo ? You dont even own any piranhas , so shushhhh, I think I hear the non-piranha forum calling you or the lounge ....:rasp:

Yes they are freshwater fish ....Salt Helps produce electrodes which also helps your fish breath better . Sorry But I am an avid user of salt in my P' tanks . and they look great .

[snapback]832466[/snapback]​
Why are you trying to shoo me away? I might not have room for Ps now, but have already read several books on upkeep and behavior. Here is some food for thought...THANK YOU DONH

Salt is NOT effective in:
1) Treating fish lice (argulus), anchorworms (lernea), skin and gill flukes, internal parasites.
2) Replacing electrolytes and trace minerals (unless you are using a marine salt mix which also has buffers that will increase your pH). 3) Treating viral infections
4) Iodine from table salt will NOT kill your fish. The low levels present in table salt will not reach toxic level, even at treatment levels. Your fish will die of osmotic shock or high salinity way before iodine becomes toxic. If you are still not convinced, cheaper alternatives to aquarium salt are non-iodized table salt, kosher salt, water softener salt (Home Depot sells 40 lb. bags for under $5 that are 99.8% pure NaCl).

All that being said, I don't believe that salt should be constantly used in the aquarium as a general tonic. They are freshwater fish and should remain so
What is your current PH? You are raising it with marine salt mix...

3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MR HARLEY said:
Aquarium Salt , 1Tsp per 5 gallons .

[snapback]832512[/snapback]​
How often do you add salt to your tank?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.