Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I found one of my reds half eaten and another was totally devoured. They were tankmates with 2 caribe 4-5in 2 supers 3in and a piraya 4in. Im pretty sure it was the caribe because hes the bull of the tank and always chases the other fish around. Ive been feeding them frozen shrimp now for about 2weeks but i noticed the past few days they were not really interested in it. So i figure this attack was out of hunger. could they just be getting bored with the shrimp? I also should add that i introduced the 2 reds about a week after i had the rest of pygos in there.

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Just because you are only feeding shrimp isnt necessarily the reason for the attack. Your Ps can go many weeks without food. As mentioned above my post you should try to mix up their diet.

A key question that could help answer your question is the amount of gallons in your tank since you had 7 Ps in that tank?

· Peace....Through Superior Firepower
10,552 Posts
Fish_first said:
Feed them variety... were they all together when they came into the tank? also how long have you had all of them together? and IMO yes too many fish for 150 gallons
[snapback]864502[/snapback]​
7 in a 150 is not to many ...

In this case I think IMHO as ABB stated the Shrimp have nothing to do with it ...

There Piranhas you know (Wild Animals) , and things like this occur from time to time ..Weeding out the weak ....

· Registered
74 Posts
I guess I rather see my P's flurrish than kill eachother off... how many p's have you lost? because I have a 0 loss record... understocking is the way to go! I don't believe in the 20g/fish rule... its crude and is reflected by the fish that are killed as they mature... also I recently heard that rbp's will not grow to 12 inches (10 inches being max) in an aquarium unless it is substantially large... I have an 11 incher right now, (my eldest) in a 125 with his two other tankmates a 10 and an 8.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More bad news, now my piraya is sick, dont know what it is his skin looks pale and his eyes are sunken and cloudy. seperated him in another tank and am treating him with maracyn. Hopefully everything works out.

· Registered
146 Posts
well, i've been reading and it sounds like a 25 gallon per fish rule should be advised. i will have a total of 4 caribes in a 100 gal. as soon as the other two arrive and they should be fine with this setup that i've got, i hope.

· Peace....Through Superior Firepower
10,552 Posts
Fish_first said:
I guess I rather see my P's flurrish than kill eachother off... how many p's have you lost? because I have a 0 loss record... understocking is the way to go! I don't believe in the 20g/fish rule... its crude and is reflected by the fish that are killed as they mature... also I recently heard that rbp's will not grow to 12 inches (10 inches being max) in an aquarium unless it is substantially large... I have an 11 incher right now, (my eldest) in a 125 with his two other tankmates a 10 and an 8.
[snapback]864526[/snapback]​
WHo Me ?

I have lost a total Of 0 fish Bud ...I myself do not like to overstock either ...
Do a little reasearch about me and then will talk

And You got reds ? Wow , thats quite an accomplishment ...
And last I heard Reds will get bigger than 10 inch in home aquarium , Back when I started I grew out my reds from 2 inch to the 8 inch mark in one year ...in an overstocked tank (Did'nt know what i was doing ) and Still never had a death . so them going over the 10 inch mark IMHO is very attainable...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.