Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i moved my 4 small p's into my larger tank with two big ones. when i checked them this morning, three of the small ones were doing fine, swimming around and being active. the fourth is sitting down in the corner, not moving much at all and breating fairly rapidly. when something comes near and disturbs him, he responds and swims a bit, but he seems very disoriented and can't keep himself righted. there is no damage to him; he hasnt been bitten or anything. is it possible its just stress from the move?

·
Bean Power!
8,912 Posts
rday said:
is it possible its just stress from the move?
Possibly. Give him a hide out from the others and keep an eye on him.

·
Bean Power!
8,912 Posts
Also, the "laying down thing" is a normal (usually) stress reaction.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Serrapygo said:
Also, the "laying down thing" is a normal (usually) stress reaction.
Yeah, they do! When my reds were smaller, they loved to scare the shiz out of me by playing dead: I lost count how many heartbeats I skipped back then

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just went out and looked at him again and the fish was stuck on the filter intake face down, perpendicular to the ground... i went to get one of those floating plastic holding tanks to put him in but by the time i found it, he was over with two of the others looking normal... so hopefully he'll pull through.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Test the water and do a water change.

it might have internal bacteria - I don't think it is well if it is getting stuck in the filter, a healthy piranha wouldn't get stuck like that.
look out for other symptems, but if you don't see any I would treat for internal bacteria just to be safe as it is a nasty desiese

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, it doesnt really matter anymore. i guess one of the other guys noticed he wasnt doing too well and now i'm down to 5...

·
Beautiful One
12,070 Posts
I would say it is stress and I would test the water to be sure it isn't anything else

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
definitly test the water. should be 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,146 Posts
i think there just stressed out..give him abit to get comfortable in his new surrounding..

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
its sh*t when stuff like that happens but it can be learned from by all. hopefully it is just the single fish and not all of them keep and eye out and definately check the water you dont want anything else to happen to the others it always best to check
dixon

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so far the others are all fine... this really sucks. i bought 8 babies 4 weeks ago and now i have 3.

·
Bean Power!
8,912 Posts
rday said:
so far the others are all fine... this really sucks. i bought 8 babies 4 weeks ago and now i have 3.
Sorry to hear that. I guess he had issues a little beyond stress. :sad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts