Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the wrong forum, but I need help. I have a 12" red belly piranha, I think he got ich from a couple feeder fish. Right now he has been laying on his side since yesterday morning. Still brething, most of the day yesterday I held him in the current and kept him swimming around. But after he swims for abbout 15 secodns, he just lays back over on his side until I hold him back up in the current. Is there any chance he could survive this, or should I just do the humane thing and euthanize him?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did a 25% water change yesterday morning and added this stuff called "liquid super ick cure". It turned the water blue and said wait 48 hours and add activated carbon to the filter and do another water change. I'm working on getting pics.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
keep going with him, yes check all your parameters and do a 30% water change, if he is still bad go and buy some anti-bac to treat the infection, make sure there is plenty of oyxgen in the water so surface aggitation must be very good to maximise this............

best of luck, and yes pictures would help alot

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I would personally do more water changes...propbably another 50% or so...add salt, higher the temperater......etc...Ifd you have an air pump, or power head turn it on......and You have some ick cure or prazi I would add some......thats what I would do If I were you...

I forgot...Is there anything you put in the tank lately like driftwood or something...that could be the problem

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope, never put anything new in the tank since it has been cycles and the piranha added. I have 2 rena filstar filters on the tank, 1 with the power head attachment, for current, and the spray bar for surface agitation right now. Ill add some salt right now and up to temp a couple degrees more

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
nope, never put anything new in the tank since it has been cycles and the piranha added. I have 2 rena filstar filters on the tank, 1 with the power head attachment, for current, and the spray bar for surface agitation right now. Ill add some salt right now and up to temp a couple degrees more
alright...good luck, if you need anything else feel free to pm me...

·
Wavy
12,088 Posts
This is why u never feeed unquarintined feeders man...for al the people that said theve never seen a case of where a p got sick through a feeder here it is...

I dunno what to tell you man except raise the temp..add some salt and cross your fingers

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Does not look like ich at all. P's are very sensitive to Malachite Green. I would not have used that unless it was a last resort. Not the best of pics but i guess you are dealing with columnaris.

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
Is the fish still with us?

Not ich... there would be little white spots if that were the case.

Doesn't look skinny enough to be wasting away from an internal parasite, but it's possible...

Let us know of his progress, will you?

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,370 Posts
yup its right never feed feeders its not cool not even gettin into the habit alittle i only feed strate feeders for 2 months-->home grown mined you and i ended up getin a small case of hole in the head,,, i know its boring but stick to shrimp dude,,

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had afew convicts with ich and they did not look like that at all. they were tiny white dots all over and they seemed to itch and rub against the gravel. I moved them to a hospital tank with all new water and treated it with ich tablets and one died 7 lived...the dots fell off and i did one last treatment and DONE. but yea that does not look like ich

good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.