Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering tank options, and like the 150 long 60x24x25. but am also considering making a tank, and see that plywood tanks aren't to be more than 16" to use 1/4" glass. so a 60x24x16 tank will be about 100 gallons. i understand the 50 gallon difference is obviously 1/3 of the volume lost, but don't p's generally hang out at one level (mine usually do), so length and width is two of the more important factors for p's if i am correct. how many P's would you run in a shoal in these two different tanks ( i understand some of 20g rule is also for water fouling). but i would like to get a shoal of 8 eventually and was hoping that this tank could handle this (is going to be a through wall tank)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
length is much better than height, for they have more room to swim back and forth
more so than up and down

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool. i guess i could just bump up to 3/8" glass, but that's a large difference in $$.. i am thinking i can get away with 6-8 p's in 100g.... maybe closer to the 6 part.

now i just have to find a consensus among DIY'ers and i wish the pics worked on most of the posts of finished plywood tanks on this site. i am leaning toward the herculiner on the inside for the sealing, but epoxy is a fine idea as well (sounds like it will last longer)

building the in wall area starts soon (making large enough to later put in my 60" wide tank (has to fit between studs set 16" on center, and has particular spot). that's why i have to have the 60" wide

thanks again and any other comments definately welcomed

G

·
Dont bother with a plywood tank unless its going to be 265g+.

Hieght is only an important factor for Angelfish and Batfish IMO. More depth is the important part of the footprint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts