Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the case of individual nattereri specimens housed with similar-sized semi-aggressive CA/SA cichlids, what does your personal experience lead you to think of the situation? I know that in my case you can only speculate, but I wanna know if I can fairly safely keep a 3-6" natt or two housed in a 180 gallon tank with 3-6" texas/jack dempsey/green terror cichlids until they outgrow it.

What do you think?

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
maybe but with the number of 6's being loe only 3 it might work cause of the size of the tank but as u know with p's its a crapshoot it might it might not if u like ur cichlids i wouldnt the only cichlids i know that can live with p's is convicts cause i have 2 in a 110 with 5rbp the rbp 2" the convicts 1" and the convicts do what they want its kinda funny but jacks and green not that aggresive maybe not a p backs down when being confronted maybe a butterkofri or red devil the again they are probably too agrresive and would end up food eventually

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Simple as this...
It might/might not work. You have good enough space in your tank, but the individuals in your tank can only determine whats gonna happen. But as most and past posts.. ANYTHING with a P isn't guaranteed. Simple as that, just like the title on your other thread.. its a gamble.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Yeah I have to agree. I am reluctant to say a solid "yes" or "no" as nothing is guaranteed. I kept a oscar with my p's for the whole time until it died of hole in the head. I would say try it, stay observant, if a fish starts getting its ass kicked remove it. You will never know the answer to these questions without a little experimentation..

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Simple as this...
It might/might not work. You have good enough space in your tank, but the individuals in your tank can only determine whats gonna happen. But as most and past posts.. ANYTHING with a P isn't guaranteed. Simple as that, just like the title on your other thread.. its a gamble.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
I vote no.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a risk. Alright, thanks for the feedback. I shoulda just asked this instead of my natt temperament post, since I guess the latter was just a muddled, messy question.

FYI tho I am only considering potential future fish setups, and won't actually get a 180 nor piranhas until I make a decision about whether I am gonna transfer univerisities for the fall semester.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I had 3 semi sucsessful attempts

I kept a breeding pair of convicts about 4" each with 2 Natts in a 29g tank for about a year, then I got a 125g and decided to put the Natts, Cariba, and Convicts in the 125g together once it cycled, and the Cariba killed the convicts within a month or so

I kept 2 plecos in my piranha tanks for about 2 years each, eventually each one a 12" and a 5" meet their maker

I kept a large Tiger barb with my 2 Natts prior to the convict for several months, probably 5 or so, over time the barb even seamed to shoal with them and would sleep amongst them at night, one day I woke up and there werent any traces of him left

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mort said:
It works for me so far...

Have the following cichlides wirh my p's:

2 zebra cichlides
2 jewel(red) cichlides
1 Geopagus Brasiliensis
how many/what kind of piranhas u got with them? whats tank size? lotsa hiding place in the tank?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have 5 RBP's, the tank is 150 g. There are some hiding spots, but the important part is that the cichlides are agressive against the p's, so that they won't attack.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, thanks. Over on a diff piranha forum, they're having a debate on the natt vs red devil. Pretty much everyone's saying that after one jaw lock itll be all over, so im suddenly not too positive about the idea...

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
All i can say is my Caribas would kill them all...

90% probability that with time your Natts will kill some or all of your Cichlids...still, as been said, you can try and keep an eye in the tank!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
piranha45 said:
everyone's saying that after one jaw lock itll be all over, so im suddenly not too positive about the idea...
Exactly what I stated in your other thread. You just dont listen!!! Am I not good enough for you to believe??
LOL :
:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Would it be way to crowded to put a pair of convicts in with 3 natts in a 55 gallon? Also, would oscars kill off any other cichlid that was in the tank with them? Mine are like vaccums, and they smoke anything I put in there, just curious

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
as long as the fish are a deal bigger than the oscar's mouth, the fish should be fine, regardless of whether its a cichlid or not.

The cons would probably dominate or at least easily fend off the reds, so itd prolly be fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Simple as this...
Like he said there is no solid answer it may or may
not work it's a gamble and you have to decide whether
or not your willing to make it.

Good luck with your decision

keep us posted on how it works if you do decide to go with
the chichlids

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.