Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don I love your pics and your fish - please enter some of these in the non-piranha POTM comp

also I get slightly differant scientific names as you have

Myleus gurupyensis

Myleus schomburgkii - Black-barred meyleus

and I have no clue as the the last species.

I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong here, as I am most likely wrong, but I thought I would share what I have these down as, I also have Myleus rubripinnis rubripinnis down as being a red hook, but not with these orange spots, more like in this pic

also I am a big fan of silver dollers and you seem to have quite a collection, I would really appriciate it if you could post about them in the non-piranha forum

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Very nice Don

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Thanks for the comments...

Innes, I'm barely starting to get interested in Myleus species, so you might be correct. I purchased those three 6" specimens as Myleus rubripinnis rubripinnis (probably because of the red hooked anal fin) but there seems to be other subspecies of rubripinnis out there and their look varies greatly. Some with brilliant orange blotching (If you remember fishpost.com imported some of those a few months ago) and I've seen pics of some with black spots also.

As far as schomburki vs schomburgkii, I'm sure you know what I meant. I just misspelled it.
I was trying to show that there are two different variants from two different locales. Thanks for correcting me though...

As for the unidentified species... Brian thinks that it might be Myleus pacu.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DonH said:
Thanks for the comments...

Innes, I'm barely starting to get interested in Myleus species, so you might be correct. I purchased those three 6" specimens as Myleus rubripinnis rubripinnis (probably because of the red hooked anal fin) but there seems to be other subspecies of rubripinnis out there and their look varies greatly. Some with brilliant orange blotching (If you remember fishpost.com imported some of those a few months ago) and I've seen pics of some with black spots also.

As far as schomburki vs schomburgkii, I'm sure you know what I meant. I just misspelled it.
I was trying to show that there are two different variants from two different locales. Thanks for correcting me though...

As for the unidentified species... Brian thinks that it might be Myleus pacu.
well whatever they are I really want some, please keep me informed as to what you find out about these species as I have never been able to find too much about them - not that I looked in great deal, but I did look a bit.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Great pics, congrats!

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Here are some of the Myleus species I am now keeping.

Myleus rubripinnis rubripinnis (Red Hook): Notice the orange spotting.

The following pictures are of various Myleus species that I receive yesterday from Brian (CichlidGeek). Awesome!!!

Myleus schomburki "Xingu"

Myleus schomburki "Rio Araguaia"

Unidentified Myleus species

Here's a link in case you can't view images: Here

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
nice pics but im sorry i think that fish is ugly as innes naked dancing around his house with a bowtie on with a poster of nsync in the background while "rock ur body" by justin timberlake is playing lmao

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
verry nice pics thanks for posting....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.