Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I laugh every time I hear you guys compare a ternetzi to a red belly. I have a 12 inch ternetzi who is over two inches thick, he owns the tank and constantly bullys a 10 inch caribe, and two nine inch piraya. These fish won't even come near him. His head is twice the size of the caribe, and he will charge the glass when I walk by. So much for the red belly comparison.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
You have never seen a large aggressive red? And in you post, you didnt compair your "tern" to a red, you compaired him to your cariba and piraya. I have read posts from people saying they have massive 12" reds, what is different about your fish?
If you read the posts in piranha science, you will see that the debate has little to do with "size and activity".

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
*sight*
Starting all over again....

Thickness is no indicator when it comes to determining different species, nor is eye-coloration, over-all coloration etc. I suggest y'all take a look in Frank's forum....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On average I would say ternetzi is the thickest pygo. The caribe is obviously second. Piraya are more streamline in shape, and a red belly is just a red belly. Ternetzi can grow over 16 inches, while caribe usually max out around 13, of course there is variation depending on the individual fish. Knifeman from predatory fish has the largest ternetzi I've seen, I think it's around 16 inches, and shaped almost like a circle. Lets see some pictures of these monster red bellies everyone seems to have.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
marco said:
arnt ternetzi one of the thinkest pygos?
I don't know about that one. I've heard people say that caribe are thicker than terns at the same length and vice versa. They are both massive. It depends if the fish was already large from the wild instead of growing from 3in to 10in in our tanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some caribe may be as thick as ternetzi when at the equal size, but the ternetzi will most likely get longer and thicker as it matures. It always depends on the individual fish. I'm just saying on average the ternetzi is the thickest pygo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MPOWER, I've never photographed my fish, any reccomendations? If your interested, I purchased my caribe, and ternetzi off of George from Shark Aquarium, and my piraya off of Ryan Lundy who used to have a lot of nice fish.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Qoute sdk77 "a red belly is just a red belly". Is there a problem with owning Reds? They are the same as Terns except for a couple of inches. Show a little respect for the Red owners. I am not trying to flame but some of us like our Red shoals that tear up food like there is no tommorrow.

-Kevin-

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.