Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried salmon, shrimp, nada. He's a 9"BDR and won't eat anything but fat goldfish. I get sick of waiting for him to eat too, so every time he's eaten, i haven't seen him. How long did it take some of you to get your rhom to accept foods other than live? (only had him for a lil less than two weeks now too)

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
you have to be more patient my friend..it can take weeks, or month or maybe longer...dont worry if he dont eat. piranha can go without food for a long time.

Keep feeding him variety different food and keep introduce him more and more..just stay away from feeder. Then when he is hungry he will eat. trust me..

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, like 2P said... it's not gonna happen overnight.
I had the same problem with my alutvei.

Just gotta get 'em hungry enough.
If you're gonna do live, at least stop with the goldfish.
Go with some tetras of some sort or a giant danio or something.

Anywho... he's not gonna starve himself to death, and once he acquires a taste for "Dead" food, he'll go for it.

p.s. There's nothing wrong with feeding with feeders, just stay away from goldfish and minnows.

Oh, and skip the salmon.
Stick with white fish.

·
Registered
441 Posts
man u just got him its gonna take awhile that rhom came from waters that u couldnt see your hand in to a clearwater glass cube

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Goldfish are probably the worst thing you could be giving your rhom....They are believed to contain things that will stunt the growth of your p not to mention they are dirty feeders...It is going to take some time but you can ween the fish off of live food....Stick to catfish,,tilapia and shrimp maybe the occasional beef heart.Starve your rhom a few days then feed him one of the items I listed in small amounts.If your fish is hungry enough it will atleast try anything you put in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah same thing happend to me. I have had my rhom for 2 weeks he's only a jouvy roughly 4" but he wouln't eat anything but like food, so I stoped feeding him live feeders and put 2 prawns in every day and took them out if he didnt eat them. Then a fews days later he was hungry anougth 2 try the praws and now he will happily eat frozen foods. Just keep up a scheduale Gl

·
06 C6 LS2
7,996 Posts
Your rhom has you wrapped around his anal fin... you just need to stick with not feeding him tell he eats what you want him to, come on you can be the dominant male and not your rhom

I give my Rhom, gold and comp. five minutes to eat every 3 days after two months they eat before the food sinks more than 3 inches.

Your fish should have minimal problems going with out food for a few weeks..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts