Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boh my reds, have very little Red on there bellies. They are between 5.5 - 6.5". One is constantly dark (turn light when he is scared or threatened) is there anything else I can do to get more color? I feed them beefheart, chicken, and feeders. The cool thing is they have lots of gold on them when the light reflects off them. Is this just what happens when they are older?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Both your reds? - do you have only 2?
that is not reccomended, even though I have the same along with a severum, you should add at least 1 more to help spread the aggression.

some people say that prawns help color, but I guess Judazz is the guy to ask, his piranhas are great looking.
Mine on the other hand are how you described.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,146 Posts
krill adds color,and all p are different.but as innes said i would add one or more.one p is always the aggressior toward the other.by adding another the aggression will go in different way

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
mine are not having any problems, despite the fact I only have 2, Don't get me wrong, they do sometimes nip each other, but they live quite well together.
I think it is all thanks to my larger severum, who is in charge (I guess they all think he is just a big piranha)

G

·
It's mainly just how some may looks im seen other reds that have absolutely no color to them what so ever and with the gold and dark color you are describing is usually pretty typical for that size. Get some more if you can.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You sure theyre reds? Lol. sounds crazy but I got a red throat piranha who looked a lot like a RB except no red on his belly, and a lot of reflection (gold) off of his back. Post some pics man. Good luck :cool:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
HAve they always looked like this? I've never had a breeding pair of reds, but heard that reds change color and get darker when they matured enuf to breed or something like that. How knows, hopefully you gonna be the proud parent of baby reds.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Another thing, no matter how krill you feed you reds they are bound to lose there color. Feeding krill is just a temporary solution.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
i had 4 reds a few years ago which had practically no red what so ever one thing they did have was personality but i sold them when the were @ 8-9 '' ,they had no red from @ 3-4'' when i got them, some are just not coloured that well possibly down to tank breeding just individual spawns loosing colour over a period .i did replace them with very good coloured reds but i dont think they have half the personality but still nice to look at

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Innes said:
some people say that prawns help color, but I guess Judazz is the guy to ask, his piranhas are great looking.
Mine on the other hand are how you described.
Thanks for the compliment, Innes!
Well, to be honest, I did nothing special to give my reds extra coloration (they seem to just have grown that way), and their diet is nothing special either, just the usual: shrimps, smelt, fish fillet and once in a while some feeders.

I guess they have they bright coloration because they seem to be very happy: they're well fed, get along great, seem to have no stress, are not skittish at all (well, they will dart around when I put my hand in the tank or when I do water changes, but that's normal), and as far as I know, the water quality is tip-top (never tested it, though...).
Or perhaps I'm just a lucky bastard and have some really beautiful fish

Besides that, every fish is different.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts