Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, woke up this morning to find that my piranha is dying, its just staying still in one place not moving. Its breathing slowly. One of its eye is completly white and the other is semi white. If i look closly at the tail i see its starting to fall apart. The fishes body looks kinda torn up, it looks like something is eatting the fish. A small part of its mouth has a big whole in it. I went to school and came back to be surprise its still alive. Before i left to school, i added some mela-fix in the water. Right now i just finished setting up a quarentine* ( sorry for the spelling error, im so scared its not gonna make to tomorow) and will put the fish in it until its healed. I had it for 4 years already, is it dying of oldness? PLease help me!! thanks

sorry, i have dont a pic ... no camera

·
Registered
87 Posts
rchan11 said:
Add some aquarium salt and turn the heat up to 85F.
[snapback]868028[/snapback]​
Do i have to use salt? or can i stick with mela-fix since thats whats in the water right now? can both mela-fix and salt be used at the same time? which is better?

EDIT: havnt added salt yet ( ill go out n buy it tomorow), but melafix is in the tank and i have raised the temp to 80.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yeah, i removed the carbon when i added the mela -fix. Thanks man, hopefully my fish will make it through the night.

Edit: my other question:
Do i have to use salt? or can i stick with mela-fix since thats whats in the water right now? can both mela-fix and salt be used at the same time? which is better?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
do some water changes, check the water parameters and seperate it from all your other fish if possible, adding aquarium salt is also a good idea (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons)

its likely you have an ammonia problem, but since you provided very little information then this can only be a guess.

more pictures and information please

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow.. last time i did a water change was a while ago.. probly like 4 months ago? i do about a 25-35% change. I often change the filters though.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
TWiSDiT said:
wow.. last time i did a water change was a while ago.. probly like 4 months ago? i do about a 25-35% change. I often change the filters though.
[snapback]868140[/snapback]​
That's your problem. I'd do 3 seperate 25% water change now and 25% weekly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my piranha is still alive. Did a 25% water change. I found out that it got the fungus disease. I added some salt, and the jungle Fungus clear tablets, and raised the temp to 85F. So far the piranha is just staying in one place and floating around. Ill keep u guys updated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
rchan11 said:
You should be treating your P in clean fresh water, not the old water that caused him to get sick in the 1st place.
[snapback]869511[/snapback]​
The fish is in the clean fresh water now. Added salt and raised the temp. I see some improvements. The cotton like things on its side are starting to fall off.Before the P didnt move, it would just float around and looked dead. Now its just lying on the the bottom of the tank and moving its fins from time to time sometimes swim. Thanks for all your help so far rchan

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Good to hear that he's recovering

Don't forget to do weekly 25% water change.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts