Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, ever since 4 years ago when i got my piranha, he never likes eatting when im around or near. Id feed him some meat and he just looks at it. When i leave the room and come back about 10-15 mins later, its gone. What should i do to make it not shy? if it has to do with the light, what light do you recommend?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Where is your tank positioned?...is it in a high traffic area or in a room where no one usually goes??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eden said:
Where is your tank positioned?...is it in a high traffic area or in a room where no one usually goes??

[snapback]875238[/snapback]​
It is in the basement where barely anyone goes besides me

Eden said:
also....what species of piranha is it??

[snapback]875247[/snapback]​
Serrasalmus nattereri

Eden said:
what sort of meat are you feeding??
[snapback]875302[/snapback]​
Chucks of raw beef meat

·
Registered
213 Posts
It may be caused by your piranha simply being used to no one being around....are you sure it is a serrasalmus?..nattereri are ussually pygocentrus.(or so i thought
) and pygos are naturally very skittish and shy by nature ..more so than a sarrasalmus..
my pygo tank has always been in my living room since day one..and my fish are not really shy at all ..they will come right up to the glass when im around, and will feed frantically as soon as the food hits the water..
as far as the meat goes....have you always fed this meat? or have you tried different foods such as frozen bloodworms or krill?
If your fish has always been this way..it is quite possible that he is just used to no one being around.. and he just doesnt want to eat when people are around ..do you have lots of decor in your tank for him to hide and feel secure??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eden said:
as far as the meat goes....have you always fed this meat? or have you tried different foods such as frozen bloodworms or krill?
If your fish has always been this way..it is quite possible that he is just used to no one being around.. and he just doesnt want to eat when people are around ..do you have lots of decor in your tank for him to hide and feel secure??

[snapback]875348[/snapback]​
No, i feed him different foods also. (krill) Yes, there is lots of decor in the tank.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frankyo said:
I don't think that is healthy I would feed shrimp.
[snapback]875373[/snapback]​
my P is 5 1/2 in long. What foods do you recomend besides krill, shrimp, since i am feeding him that from time to time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
frozen smelt are cheap...
as for your problem..it is most likely hes just used to being alone!
my best guess....

Eden

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't have one and I have five so they don't get scared about eating in front of me because they have to compete for the food. never tried smelt mine love shrimp or forzen fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts