Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have four red bellies and a 7 inch oscar all in a 45 gal.... my rbs are from 4-6inches. yesterday i did a water change. iws out late last night and came home and went right to bed. when i woke up i checked my fish and i noticed little red balls on the bottom of the tank. im so excited. please tell me what to do to keep these things alive. i have a spair ten gal. tank that is up and running with a sponge filter in it.

PLEASE HELP ME.

-tom

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
tyourkie66 said:
i have four red bellies and a 7 inch oscar all in a 45 gal.... my rbs are from 4-6inches. yesterday i did a water change. iws out late last night and came home and went right to bed. when i woke up i checked my fish and i noticed little red balls on the bottom of the tank. im so excited. please tell me what to do to keep these things alive. i have a spair ten gal. tank that is up and running with a sponge filter in it.

PLEASE HELP ME.

-tom
first of all congrats

if your ten gallon is up and running what was in there? i would suggest that you clean it right out remove all gravel and refill and place a little bit of gravel a hand full from the breeding tank. use freash water!!

i am glad to hear you are willing to use a 10 gallon for the fry. first of all i don't think you have enough time to prepare the 10 gal tank for the first batch to hatch in it. but what you can do is transfer them after hatching i don't use this method unless it is neccssary. you will if you did not already start, need a sponge filter with a small air pump. and roughly 12 ft. off air line tube which can be used for many purposes later. and a 100watt heater. a canopy lid or a pc of acrylic plexy glass to maintain a steady temp. and some snails 5-10 should work at first but don't worry if they reproduce that is fine, better to have more than not enough as these things will help you with the tank maintenance.

1) first thing is fill the 10 gal with water and set temp at 80deg.

2) once you get a sponge filter you can soak it in some of the water from the breeding tank, take out a pail full and place it in the water. you will have to squish the sponge several times as it will not want to sink at first but it will after it saturates.

3) you can place a little bit of gravel in the bottom not lots just a hand full. this will create shelter and keep the snails occupied till they feed on brine shrimp and help you later for pictures for focus.

4) you will need to pic up food HIKARI first bites & brine shrimp these can both be purchased at your lfs for a resonable price.

5) you will need a 5gal pail and a couple smaller pails to help you with transfering fry. the hose from your vacume gravel cleaning should work fine just take it off from the plastic tube part.

if you manage to have all this stuff ready before you see little tails sticking out of the eggs or see them spinning, than you can try to hatch in the 10gal tank. BUT you must unplug heater on the ten gal first and remove half 5 gal water from tank and add 5 gal of water with the eggs from the breeding tank first. you will want to stick a small nail or pin threw the end of the hose before you start to syphon as this will stop larger rocks from pLugging your hose and delaying the syphoning process. make sure you put a gallon of water in the syphoning pail first before you start with the eggs this will eliminate them from smashing on the bottom. they will be sticking to the rocks a little. once in the fry tank you can put some egg guard over top the eggs read label for instructions DO NOT EVER PUT THIS ON EGGS WITH ADULTS PIRANHAS AS IT COULD BE FATAL pick of egg guard on next post.

i will post a couple pics below to show you the food you are about to purchase.

when you got a chance get back to piranha - fury and let us no about your whole set-up and progress pics will help
BE CAREFULL MALE/FEMALE P'S WILL NOT BE THRILLED!!!!
GOOD-LUCK

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
brine shrimp

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
egg guard (and 4 rbp's and a 7'' oscar in a 45 gal
j/k )

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
thanks
i wish you luck buddy
but stop beating up bouncers because you will need two hands.

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
great advice as usual nike.

I recommend frozen baby brine shrimp if you can find it. most lfs carry it. that way you dont have to mess with hatching the freeze dried stuff

do you have a parent P gaurding the nest? keep an eye on the oscar the may try to eat your eggs

keep us posted

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in my ten gal tank i had mollys and plattys i used to try to breed them. now in my tank there is a sponge filter(dirt magnet) and enough gravel to just cover the glass on the bottom, my tanks are both set at 82 degres riight now, i have a heater, and canopy. and my ten gal is right nex t to my breeding tank so can i just sphyn the fry from one tank to the other without using pails?

i have frozen brine shrimp right now, but you say i need baby brine shrimp right? that is something i will ned to buy. along with the two other products.

tell me anything im missing.

thank you

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also i cant give any picturtes because i dont have a camera.

and is it common to have p's breed in a 45gal.?????

i thought it was more in tanks such as 125gal.

im so haoppy

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
tyourkie66 said:

im so haoppy
get some snails along with the other products becuase they will do your cleaning for the first little while. you will have to grow some brine shrimp but you will not need this for 3-4 days as they feed of thier sacks for a couple days. but i would recommend buying it fast and practice making it as it takes a little practice.and 18-24 hours to make i will show another pic of the hatchery that must be used. but the first bites is really good, make sure you can track some down. only petland out here has some so i hope you have luck.

once you have syphoned the eggs wait a little while 2 hours and do a nitrite check if you have any signs of nitrite add freash water but poor very slow back in keep the eggs bunched. and you could add a little aquarium salt also a quarter teaspoon for every 2.5 gallons. and i forgot to mention if you could place a small air stone by the eggs this will also help debris from settling on top of the eggs.

and bring the tempiture down to 80 deg till all eggs hatch then you can raise it back up a deg or two after a day or two.

and yes breeding in a 45 gal with 5 fish is quite wild.
i have herd of placing mateing pairs alone in a smaller tank to breed but having that amount of fish in that size is something new. i no that that hatching them in there would definatly cause a battle royal between the oscar and the male/female.

the pic below is showing a hatchery that you can buy to hatch brine shrimp it comes with three small packs of brine shrimp eggs but you can buy replacement eggs like above for future hatching. the kit cost roughly 20.00 bucks (canadian) it's called SANFRINCISCO BAY BRAND

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
the hatchery box what to look for.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
Croz said:
i would like to get one but they don't have them around here.
what don't they have? hatchery box.....

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
Death in # said:
nike i dont think u gave enough info
jk
thanks dude and say hello to your sun
jk
first of all i need to find his mother

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alrite im going to the store tomorrow. ill see what i can round up. tonite im working on getting my ten gal. ready......thank you very much. for all the info.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
tyourkie66 said:

I've heard of reds spawning in a 55g before, but this is a new record, as far as I'm aware

Good luck raising your babies, man!

btw: even though you don't have a digicam, you can help other piranha keepers out: just keep a log, and write down your experiences/observations/recommendations/do's and don't, on a day-to-day basis. We have some plans for PFury concerning breeding reports, so you might get famous...

I'm sure it will help out many future piranha breeders

1 - 20 of 92 Posts