Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i've got a modest 10gal with my 2inch RB in there and i was just wondering how long i should keep the pumps on. my mom says i should turn them off at night but i disagree. for the record i have a penguin mini wet/dry biowheel filter and 2 aeration stones. i just was wondering if i should turn them off at night or whatever, thanks for any feedback.

rock on

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I would completely turn off and take out the airstone, but keep the bio wheel. Filteration is definately needed. Your Ps can survive without the bubbles as long as you have water surface agitation..

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
welcome to the site

you need 1 filtration and 2 water agitation

1 to keep water clean
2 to aerate the water so p's get oxygen
same as RZ advised really
dixon

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
For my 10 i have a pengiun 125 bio wheel powerhaed filter. The biowheel does a great job of putting air in the tank, I dont have an airpump for it and leave my filter on 24\7.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Bio wheels are good but i perfere a bubble wall and a air stone i my filter it is loud but affective!! Airtorey15 is doing a great job describing!!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
my filter are always on
airstones are for looks not oxygen
i turn the powerhead on in the morning and turn it off around 9 pm

·
Registered
518 Posts
All my tanks' filter/pump are on 24/7.

I dont use airstone, just the tube....it creates more surface agitation.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Mine stays on all the time. I dont think that its good for your biological filtration to turn them off, even for only the night. I think that more then enough time for your bacteria to die.

~Dj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts