Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my little wild Nattereri. He/She has been changing colors on a daily basis. Its normal color is the same as the wild Natt on the left. Here it is purple (looks much more purple in person), the next day it was back to red, yesterday it was black. Make no mistake, this is a red belly, just going through some changes.
Just so you know, last night he/she started blowing a nest and ripping up my fake plants, shoving them in the ground in a secluded and well planted back corner. My pygos have never touched the plants, but this little guy has started taking chunks out of them, and being very careful while carrying them back to its spot.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
NICE coloring, Jeff!!! Mine to goes through changes since I've changed the lighting in my tank. Irrodcent, black, silver, gold, and even green when tints when light is reflected from the plants to the scales of my Ps.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya Al, look at the red to the left of him.....that is his usual color. This has nothing to do with the lighting, I just thing they change colors sometimes for various reasons. I dont know about all the color variants, I think a lot of that is wishful thinking.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
grosse gurke said:
This has nothing to do with the lighting, I just thing they change colors sometimes for various reasons.
Fish do change colors for numerous reasons. Although, I never saw one of my old reds turn purple. You have a nicely colored fish there. I think that was one of the only pictures I have seen that clearly shows possibly differences in fish color as one being purple, while surrounding fish remain red. Good luck with him/her.

~Dj

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
InSinUAsian said:
grosse gurke said:
This has nothing to do with the lighting, I just thing they change colors sometimes for various reasons.
Fish do change colors for numerous reasons. Although, I never saw one of my old reds turn purple. You have a nicely colored fish there. I think that was one of the only pictures I have seen that clearly shows possibly differences in fish color as one being purple, while surrounding fish remain red. Good luck with him/her.

~Dj
He is no longer that color. And if I was a better photographer.....he was way more purple than that picture shows. He went back to red the next day, and yesterday he was black.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Pygocentrus Chameleon (sp?)

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
grosse gurke said:
I hear ya Al, look at the red to the left of him.....that is his usual color. This has nothing to do with the lighting, I just thing they change colors sometimes for various reasons. I dont know about all the color variants, I think a lot of that is wishful thinking.
Yeah, understandable..

One day the biggest one would be black, the 2nd gold, the 3rd Silver.. next day they all trade off color schemes, or their normal color. I can even have them lined up together and show different color variations under the same lighting, positions, on top of one another.. ect.

It is wishfull thinking..

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Xenon said:
That is some nice color you captured on that Natt Grosse! Do you think they are preparing to spawn?
He/She was building a nest last night. I was talking to Nick and looked over and was like holy sh*t...the little dude is trimming my fake plants, blowing gravel, and kicked an 8" cariba out of his territory. I only have 2 reds in there and I dont know if i have a male and female, but the little one thinks it is going to spawn.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my 7" rbp from 'o snap its eric' has been going through those color changes also on a daily basis. It started to happen when i put a 7" piraya in there with him.
They playfully fight and i thought the color changes meant he was in a good mood.
done forget eric 1 rbp survived and is thriving.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
grosse gurke said:
I will take some tonight, dont know what color he will be.
Lol

Aren't they surprising fish indeed!

He reminds me of my largest red, which is changing colors pretty frequently and acts the same as well, but he has no mate (as far as I know of...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.