Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to buy some neons for my tank yesterday on the spur of the moment when I drove past an aquatics shop. I never had any other kind of fish in my tank apart form 2 goldfish to help it cycle whne I first set it up. They had a good innings and lasted a whole 2 weeks co-habbing with my Reds before disappearing without trace.
Anyway, I bought 16 neons to add a bit of variety and extra colour to my tank, I figured that Neons would last because they are so small the Reds wouldnt bother with them, and I fed my Reds before I put them in just to make sure.
I was wrong.
Soon after the lights went off at 10:00pm I was on my pc playing poker I heard some splashing and activity in the tank, so I went down to check it out, turned the lights on and there was not 1 neon left.

Anyone have any luck keeping other fish with their reds, I didnt expect them to get eaten so quickly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Giant Danios.

Could just be my P's but they can't catch them. After about a week of trying they've given up. They are great at grabbing little chunks of food during a frenzy.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Believe it or not, but for a decent amount of time ive had a handful of convicts in with my reds with no death yet.....they actually feed with the reds when i toss in food. I think its only a matter of time before they get mauled though.

Other than that, a few pearl danios have been around my p's forever because they stay at the top 99% of the time. Also all my common plecos are still alive and getting bigger everyday.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I decided to buy some neons for my tank yesterday on the spur of the moment when I drove past an aquatics shop. I never had any other kind of fish in my tank apart form 2 goldfish to help it cycle whne I first set it up. They had a good innings and lasted a whole 2 weeks co-habbing with my Reds before disappearing without trace.
Anyway, I bought 16 neons to add a bit of variety and extra colour to my tank, I figured that Neons would last because they are so small the Reds wouldnt bother with them, and I fed my Reds before I put them in just to make sure.
I was wrong.
Soon after the lights went off at 10:00pm I was on my pc playing poker I heard some splashing and activity in the tank, so I went down to check it out, turned the lights on and there was not 1 neon left.

Anyone have any luck keeping other fish with their reds, I didnt expect them to get eaten so quickly.
I guess they were hungry !!

The few goldfish I fed my p's didn't last very long in the tank when I fed them that. But last week, I wanted to get ris of my bala shark and put him in the tank.... and he's still in there swimming!!??!! ...and what's interesting is that he picks on my p's and they do nothing !! I don't know how long this is gonna last.

·
I Love Me Some Me
5,987 Posts
In with my larger reds I have a red lobster, pleco, a bottom cat, 3 blood tail tetras and five black skirt tetras. The reds outsize them by a huge difference and have been co hab since just about the beginning. Not a single nip, besides the lobster guarding his cave. I'm sure when the reds are 6"+ they'll have their day with everything in there, but right now the tank looks great with the extra fish.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
hahahahah this happended to all my tetra i had with my P's too but over a longer period of time, i dont think any fish will ever be able to keep with P's for extended periods of time.............

·
Registered
371 Posts
I recently moved my P's to a larger tank (3 juvi reds in a 125g). I already had a large pleco and crayfish with them and added 4 giant danios and 2 black skirt tetras. All still remain except for one giant danio. He disappeared without a trace, but there's no sign of further aggression against the others. I think the one thing that I have working in my favor is that I feed each of my P's one bite sized piece of talapia twice a day. Keeping something in their bellies seems to be working to keep them from eating the other fish.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the neons would be too quick for the P's but they must have waited till the lights went out then gone for em.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
well IMO that was a bit fast for all of them to be eaten in such a short period of time, i tossed two convicts before but they were eaten about two days apart..

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well IMO that was a bit fast for all of them to be eaten in such a short period of time, i tossed two convicts before but they were eaten about two days apart..
I should add that 4 of my 5 reds are wild and very aggressive toward one another, so I guess they took it out on the lil' neons

I was kind of p*ssed off whe I turned the lights back on to check on them and there was no sign of any of them, they cost me £8 ffs!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I should add that 4 of my 5 reds are wild and very aggressive toward one another, so I guess they took it out on the lil' neons :laugh:

I was kind of p*ssed off whe I turned the lights back on to check on them and there was no sign of any of them, they cost me £8 ffs!!!
[/quote]

Wild Reds could explain it.
My fish are all captive bred and have minimal exposure to other fish - NEVER as a food source. I don't think they realize the talapia pieces come from another fish. lol.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I had a con that kept on killing my other fish, so i tossed him into my piranha tank hoping they would eat him. The reds never bothered him and even let him get some of the shrimp. He lived with them for about a month until i sold him.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Ehh it isn't that fast. My ATF's would go thru 60 feeders in two days If I let them.
[/quote]

must have some small feeders there in the states
or should i say minnows :rasp:

·
Registered
114 Posts
actually guppies do rather well with my big rbps. I threw a few in there a couple months ago and they are still there... but have plenty of hiding places including floating stuff to hide in.. either way they are kinda cool to see every now and again. i dont even feed them, they just get scraps and have been there for quite some time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts