Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 5 baby piranhas in a 90Gallon tank, they are 1" - 2" long at most. the bigger ones keep attackign the little ones, and they never eat, cuz the large ones are stealign their food so now they dont grow. what do i do?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Sounds like the larger one is staking his territory and his dominance in the pecking order.
In order to get food to the others, you just need to feed them more.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Agree, you may add more food and can olso low tank temp and they´ll be less aggressive!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Try feeding very small pieces of meat or shrimp, one piece at a time: the more dominant and agressive ones will gorge themselves first, and once they're stuffed, the other, less dominant ones can have their share.
Worked for me :smile:

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I would not worry about separating yet, they are so small I doubt they will do any real damage. And should one happen to get taken out, they are only a few bucks at that size anyways.
Or if you are really concerned, you could trade in the troublemaker to the lfs and get a different little one.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are doign damage, they are biting eachothers eyes out ony 7 eyes on 5 fish

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
EMJAY said:
they are doign damage, they are biting eachothers eyes out ony 7 eyes on 5 fish
Your saying 3 of your p's have lost an eye?
Dude, I would take out the big guy, pop both his eyes out and feed him to the others. Seriously, I would get rid of the dominant one, sound like you have some kind of psychotic red, and replace him.
Another problem is I really dont know what I would do with all those one eyed p's, I would probably keep them, but I really dont know.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
At that size you want to feed 2 times a day they are growing fast and there hungers are frequent. They will eat 40 to 60 percent of their body weight a day untill 3-4 inches then once a day untill about 6 inches. after that once every other day. This is what worked for me and my p's.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Welcome to the piranha world!!! Dont stress bro, your Ps are still babies. As always in the animal world, one will always eat more and show dominance to the others. A good idea for the time being, is separating the big one with the smaller ones to evenly distribute feeding. Its an option that I wouldnt implement, as Ps can hold their own with others if/when they need to eat.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
acidsurvivor said:
I watch the the one eyed ones frequently, since they will have a harder time fending themselves and getting food.
I've had a one lazy eyed 4" RB before and now have a one eyed 8" RB.. No worries. They had their own and accustomed to regular living with my other Ps. Never getting picked on.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
feed as judazzz advised the large ones will stop eating when full letting the others eat also when they are that small they need to eat alot.
i have had this problem also but with bigger reds where the dominant eat first leaving little food for the others with reds they tended not to eat straight away until one went for the food they others learnt to be first to get to the food so they could eat making the food not stay in the tank as long and also so all the food would be eaten.now with my piraya the food gets eaten straight away and the reds now eat at the same time so again they have learnt to get in quick or the food will be gone
dixon

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
also one eyed reds i would keep them the one eyed red i had was a kick ass fish overcoming his problem and not letting the other reds keep him down he was definately not at the bottom of the pecking order and had loads of personality feeding constantly and had no probs finding food
dixon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts