Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and had my water tested at a lfs. And they told me my water had no ammonia or nitrates and very little nitrites. But the guy at the store told me that all three readings were supposed to be at 0. I dont think he knows what he is talking about but maybe I am wrong. I always get the nitrates/nitrites mixed up. What are good paramaters for the water for my Spilo?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
When your tank is fully cycled, you will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, but you will have nitrAtes. They are the end result of the cycle and are removed with water changes. If you do a 20-25% water change weekly you will not have to worry about nitrAtes being a problem.
The only other time you may have ammonia or nitrItes is do to a spiked caused by an increase in the bio load that the existing bacteria could not handle. These could be caused by rotting food or adding too many fish at one time.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I am always confused about peoples views on pH, I often hear that you shouldn't bother with it, because if you change it dramatically the fish may suffer, but I can't understand how this would not be a problem in every water change if you didn't control it.
Personally I keep a stedy pH of 7.0, to do this I simply use 1 product that works wonders, it automatically sets the pH at 7.0 no matter what it is already at, I cant remember the name - proper pH 7.0 from aquarium pharmaceuticals, I think, but it is mentioned in my tutorial "how to set up a piranha tank"
By adding this to all the new water during water changes I don't have any change in pH in my tank, ever!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
bobme said:
didnt some one say like, sure Ph matters, but its better to have a constent PH the having the Ph up and down and up and down?
they would be right, but their is no reason not to have a constant pH of 7.0.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts