Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo! my lil rb P is a bit shy. he sits and hides in the bushes almost all the time(besides when i feed him)
i only have 1 in a 9-10 gallon tank.
how can i get him to overcome his shyness???
without buying more P's or a new aquarium.
but anyway would he become more active if i gave him a 100 liter aquarium???

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I don't know what size your fish is, but a 10 gallon tank is too small... So I'd upgrade to a larger tank. And when you've done that, buy your loner a couple of buddies: redbellies are happier when they are in a shoal (they live in groups in the wild...).
If you decide to get more p's, buy at least two, better a couple more. When you have only two, all they can do is attack each other, and one of them will die for sure. When you have three or more, the agression is better spread.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I would say get at least 2 more to have a total of three. Also, is it really bright in your tank? P's shy away from the light. You have to let the little bugger get used to everything. But defiantly get more p's and a bigger tank!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that, but my economical situation aint so good ATM.
hmmm, light u say. hmmmm i think he started being shyer when the one light burned out. can that make a diffrence?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
give it an amazon sword in there and a little bit of rockwork ... woulnt put in driftwood unless its a very small piece ... try adding some dither fish as well ... they could become lunch but dithers are never expensive anyways ... good luck

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Dont expect a single RBP to do anything intresting for along time... They enjoy the company of other RBPs and need some sort of social interaction to fell safe, if not they will just stare at you.. Golds, on the other hand, are alot more active at that age by themselves.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
chuck in 2 or so black widows ... they wont harm then and chances are if they are excepted they will shoal together ... have seen it done b4 ... is working well with mine now too :D

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm let me get this right!
is there a chance that he will become more social if there is other fishin his aquarium? not necissarly other rb P's?

·
Registered
698 Posts
"is there a chance that he will become more social if there is other fishin his aquarium"

Oh yeah, said the spider to the fly, come to my place.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
most likely the piranha will eat whatever you put in their, but it does sometimes work, for a while.
check out Judazzz's website and tank pics.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Pleco's or raphael catfish are a good choice as piranha tankmates, but I don't know if it will have any effect on your p's behaviour. But it makes your tank more lively for sure...
And if you get tank mates, you'll need a larger tank anyways...

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
id take everything out of the tank except the gravel. get him use to the open space of the tank and u. then he wont be as skiddish. or u can buy a rhom. :D

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
You can dim the lights or if you have enough lighting in the room he is in just keep them off. Unfortunately this will not help the plants you have in the tank I dont think you should take everything out of your tank, I like the look of a live planted tank (if they can survive the dimming) and placing him in an open tank will just stress him more. And dont listen to marco, a rhom small enough for a 10 gallon would be just as skittish as your red.
I think you should start with less light and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.