Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So my Lowes does not carry pool filter sand. Caries loaded pool filters an that's it. I didn't want play sand heard to many negatives. I heard quikrete makes a commercial sand that works good, well guess what... My Lowes doesn't carry that either. The only option was play sand or all purpose sand. Well personally the all purpose looks like sh*t! It's dirty looking and not a clean sand, I think it may even adda huge possability to scratching the tank while cleaning or removing. Also seems to harden up real fast. NO like concrete but just gets stiff. I'm posting this because your obviously reading this post to learn about sand or are thinking of doing sand in your tank. So this is a what not to get. I have been following the instructions given on this post and can not seem to get the sand clean even. Still looks like mud after 2 hours of messing with it. So I'm going to count my losses in time an my 3.28. Return the other two bags and try to find better sand somewhere else. A question for you OP. The pool sand is rather white. What will this do for the darker color's on my Gibbus. I want him to get darker and would like a gold sand to help his color out. Have black rock in my 125g an would really like sand in this one.

I know these aren't the best pictures but that's what I could get out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
The darker the sand the darker the fish will become. The lighter sand gave my reds this very silvery shiny look. It was cool for a while but I got tired of it and switched over to black sand. I used this black sand blasting sand. It is what they use for sand blasting. It was 8 buckas a bag but shipping kills you. I ended up paying about $120 for 200 pounds shipped.

- you can use play sand, many people do, just be careful of your HOB filter if you have one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200022824_200022824

21 - 24 of 24 Posts