Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo! Finished settin up new 80 gallon tank.
Soon to be home to 4 lil rbps. Got a few plants in it too. 8 amazon swords, 4 wysteria and 4 java ferns, they arent too big at the moment though heh.
. Cycling the tank now with 7 goldfish now, probably be done in a month then i can get some p's! Check out the pic! (sorry its a little big)

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Very very nice. you can add ammonia from your local fish store and other products to speed up your cycling process or put a shiot load of feeders in there. a month is long as hell man.

Joe

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree with Crozy. Solid backgrounds are best. Black or dark blue are my favorite. If you get a dark blue or black background and have a good plant setup with plants along the back of the tank, it really looks good. The dark background really brings out contrast with the nice, healthy, green plants.

But it is your tank. Do what you want, but you should just try a dark background and see what you think. You can always change it back.

Congrats on the new tank! Be patient and you will have your p's in there before you know it.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
glad to see you got to post a pic

Congrats on the tank, however id say get some more fish in there to speed up the cycling!
however nice tank so far, good job. I like it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, the background looks a bit wierd in that pic. It dosent stand out that much in real life. I think the flash messed around with the normal lighting and made the background look brighter. The pic looks better smaller too, but the background looks very nice in real life and the plants show up great, i would hate to have a big old black background, thatd be ugly n boring lookin in my opinion.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
(ActivePulse) said:
nice tank man , I am pretty sure it is the same as mine (Hagen) 77 gallon?
i thought he said it was a 80 gal.

Erik: yea, the background looks a bit wierd in that pic. It dosent stand out that much in real life. I think the flash messed around with the normal lighting and made the background look brighter. The pic looks better smaller too, but the background looks very nice in real life and the plants show up great, i would hate to have a big old black background, thatd be ugly n boring lookin in my opinion.
Black background are cool, i like them a lot, however blue one's i think look better.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
and if your gonna be putting p's in there, your gonna need more filtration than just the fluval or whatever that is. Maybe get an older filter with cycled media and it should speed up the process as well. Nice set-up.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Nice one, Erik! Cool set-up, even though I would add some more plants

Personally, I don't think a background like that isn't that bad: I have a similar one, and it's ok.

One small thing: have you smoothened the pieces of rock? They look pretty sharp and jagged to me, and a scared piranha could easily injure himself when crashing into it...

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Well done!
Think about Caribas in there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea its the hagen 77 gallon and whats wrong with a Fluval? It's the 404 canister filter it says good for up to a 100 gallon tank.
The rocks arent really jagged they are just a bit bumpy, nothin sharp and that big flat leaning one is pretty round on the tip. I think the p's will be ok.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
nice setup..like the rocks on the left hand side sweet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts