Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here it is, its not very pretty yet, but once the live rock grows it should look sweet

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Nice...what kind of fish is going to be in there?

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just a little salt water community, couple clowns, chromis, maybe a shrimp. stuff like that

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Don´t you like blue damsels?

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Hannibal said:
Don´t you like blue damsels?
nope, I hear they are little a-holes. and accually seen it first hand in my friends tank. no damsels for me. they have a nice color though

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Agree, they are pretty but ass-h...toward their own specie...remember to share some pics of your tank abd fish whe ready!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
yeah stay away from damsels there mean little bastard and there colors fades as they get bigger..what kind of light will you be using??

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, my question also, what kind of light? It makes THE difference in sw tanks. I have metal halides. I'm sure your tank will look awesome once everything starts to grow. You will see so much stuff. Make sure you take a peek at night with a flashlight, that is when you will see the most. Try to get the clowns as young as you can and at the same time. Sometimes they can be aggressive. I have two in an 18g along with a pygmy angel fish and a whole bunch of snails, atlantic anemones, and hermit crabs. Sw tanks are a beautiful site, but piranha tanks are more exciting! Keep us posted with pics of that tank Please!!!

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I plan on getting a saltwater eventually. How much did the rocks cost....how long does it take for them to "grow" and what exactly grows? Sorry I am a complete newb with salt!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Avoid blue damsels. I put one in one of my saltwater tanks and it went around the tank kicking up the sand constantly.
Clowns are cool. Tomato and Cinnamon clowns are very cichlid like. Maroons are bad asses and can get quite large. Ocellaris and Perculas are goof balls but a lot of fun

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Thats going to be a nice tank. I think that set up is the only "good looking" octaganol tank set up.

~Dj

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
holyshitballs how big is your tank that rock looks huge ya I am a complete newbie at saltwater nitro care to expand on some of this as well, I guess I wont get a blue damsel then I want a goby will crabs leave him be and I am going to get 2 percula clowns because my tank is wee size.I want to get some bigger rock but I have to wait till she gets some in live rock here goes for $5.99-6.99 a lb here can you tell me how to maybe grow live rock for future reference?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hehe, live rock cannot be "grown". I know, it sux. I had to go out and put down my hard earned cash for some rock. Oh well. There is such a thing as zooanthoid rock. I think thats what its called. That has organisms on it that will migrate to base rock and grow on it. Get some damsels to cycle the tank for about a month and then get rid of them and purchase your clowns. Beware of aggression between clowns though. I have an 18g sw tank with a clearly dominant percula clown and a submissive perc. Have fun!

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
readingbabelfish said:
Hehe, live rock cannot be "grown". I know, it sux. I had to go out and put down my hard earned cash for some rock. Oh well. There is such a thing as zooanthoid rock. I think thats what its called. That has organisms on it that will migrate to base rock and grow on it. Get some damsels to cycle the tank for about a month and then get rid of them and purchase your clowns. Beware of aggression between clowns though. I have an 18g sw tank with a clearly dominant percula clown and a submissive perc. Have fun!
Good to know now I know who to come to if I need help lol I will start out with some damsels I will get them on sunday since that will be a week , um what about orange fish with the black stripes and the blue or purple on tales they are quite small can those be with clownfish and there was this birdnose wrasse green he was beautiful can those be with the clownfish? I was thinking ur hermit crab and some turbo snails and a goby with 2 percula clowns or do you think if I have 3 it would be fine, I could just have a goby and a percula and something else? what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would stick with the two percs, some snails, and some hermits. Depending on your lighting, you could get some anemones. I would only keep damsels in there for the first month. I know, it sux to wait that long, but it is worth it. I have two clowns and a pygmy angel fish, and that is pushing it. The royal gramma, I think that's what you are talking about does get bigger than the clowns. I would stick with two fish, mix or match. Maybe a clown and a pygmy angel, there are so many different kinds and they are beautiful. Keep in mind that the clowns get to be around three inches or so. Best of luck to you!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.