Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new elong on Wednesday and it has been 4 days now, and he has not eaten. He has been hiding in the same corner behind all the rocks and plants the whole time. The temp is at 81-82 degrees if that makes a difference. I have tried to feed him small feeder fish, he is about 6 inches long, but he does not even go for them. He is starting to get his black mask though, which must be a good thing. Is him not eating and hiding all day something too worry about?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
4 days without eating is nothing to a 6" S. elongatus. Do not worry, he will just take some time to settle in, and then he will start eating. But be prepared, it could take up to a month. Keep offering him food everyday, and if he doesn't eat it, remove it immediately (within 15 minutes).
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks good to know, what feeders would you recommend? I have just been trying to put small goldfish in. Eventually after he starts eating I was going to try and get him to eat jumbo krill.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Ok, thanks good to know, what feeders would you recommend? I have just been trying to put small goldfish in. Eventually after he starts eating I was going to try and get him to eat jumbo krill.
I recommend not offering ANY live fish at all.

Live fish can carry internal/external parasites and disease that can easily be passed onto your piranha. They also offer very little nutritional value.

Some much better dead foods to consider are:
-krill
-shrimp
-whitefish fillet
-earthworms
-clam muscle
-.....and much more. Just take a look around the Feeding and Nutrition Forum to get some more healthy food ideas.

Good luck!

~Taylor~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts