Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it looks like i am going to have to get rid of my reds as they are just pissing me off with their antics.
they are now fighting again and i am going to do another decor change again ,this time it has involved the piraya who has now got a tooth hole through the eye which i am going to treat.
the 2 reds but one in particular has become extremely aggresive even to the point of beating my piraya to food.
both reds had gone really dark and circling each other biting and chasing constantly ( dont think its breeding )
the piraya was keeping out of it but did get involved sometimes due to it being in the wrong place but this time kicked off after being bit (small scale damage) .
the piraya bit the red back who then sunk a tooth into the piraya's eye .
i am so pissed of with the reds at the moment as all three were getting along so well until a couple of weeks ago .
i am going to hold off getting the cariba and may get another two piraya instead keeping away from mixed tanks
oh well lifes a bitch
dixon

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Mixed tanks can be a challenge. One of my caribas is taking a beating. What you described can happen with any combination and can be irritating, especially when dealing with the more expensive pygos.
Good luck, I do love the look of a mixed pygo shaol.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
TRrue that about mix'd Pygo tank. As much as how badass it would look, most people forget about each individuals species presence and adaptation to each other.

BTW: how many Ps do you have, what size and how big tank??

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
The aggression in my tank is high with an all piraya tank. I'm gonna have to upgrade tanks very very soon.(this week) They are 5 now. After one was chowed. They are 3 inches. And in an 85 that i thought was big enough for now. But no they are kicking eachothers ass. I thought rhombs were only this pissed off. I'm ok with that. Just have to get a big ass tank.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its actually the reds who are being agressive especially the slightly larger one and i've kept reds for a few years and never seen anything like this level of agression in reds, the reds i had before could be agressive but not sustained like this.
these reds were really quiet when i had them with 2 larger reds and have now gone mad .
the tank is a 55 gal which is being upgraded next month (my birthday) to a 84 gal 48x20x20 tank .at the moment i have 1 piraya @4 1/2'' and 2 reds @ 6'' .
everything seems to have settled down again now but i am still doing a full decor change tommorow as i am off work and will start treatment on the piraya tommorow also.
innes you could be right relegation does funny things to ya and the amount of records we have broke this year just says it all
dixon

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would be really ansy when having such an expensive fish with another kind of pygo like reds or caribe. The reason I think the reds act this way when a piraya is mixed is they feel threatened and decide to try and take out the piraya or caribe whichever mix is involved. Mixing piranha's I think also stresses them out a little which may also be a cause of the aggression amongst the piranha's. Sorry to hear of their fighting but I hope it works out in the end and that my jumbling together of sentences is understandable as its late here and I'm about ready for sleep. Good luck.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i have just done water change and decor move and noticed the eye damage is not from a fight only the scale damage .
the piraya is getting the same problem on the other eye so i am off to the illness section for some info
thanks dixon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.