Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
919 Posts
rbp 4 135 said:
nice, had any serious injuries or fatalities yet with that group. ?
[snapback]959950[/snapback]​
They are a relatively new addition to my collection. They were purchased February 19, 2005. So far they have been fine. There has been any need to separate them, and they are eating prepared food. They were pretty beat up when I got them, but they have managed to rejuvenate their fins together as a group.

I will keep members posted of the progress of this colony.

PS
If there is ever a need for sepparation I am prepaired with a hospital tank.

Here is my most recent Group Shot.

View attachment 55206

·
Registered
780 Posts
wow, best of luck with them. ever since mine hit the 3" mark, it doesn't tolerate anything longer than an hour.

how big are they?

919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NavinWithPs said:
wow, best of luck with them. ever since mine hit the 3" mark, it doesn't tolerate anything longer than an hour.

how big are they?
[snapback]960347[/snapback]​
I purchased them from an individual who had them together for 1.5 years. They are roughly 5 inches TL. As for comparing them to macs; they have honestly not been in my possession long enough for any possible comparison.

They do feed well for me. They are eating the feeders, various types of chopped fish, and beef heart. They are still a little timid, but that is expected for their new environment. When feeding them all do come out and eat prepared foods for me, so everything is apparently leading in a positive direction.

It is my personal belief that each individual piranha will has its own personality. The only thing, noticeable by all piranhas is; they are un-predictable. I have also noticed that the same group of piranhas will react entirely differently in a different local. The original owner did not get the fish eating prepared foods. They ate beef heart for me 3 days after I had them. The feeding habits from their original home to my home, shows a difference in the same group of fish.

PS. Good to hear from you again killintime too.
Glad to see your colony is still hanging tough.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
cooldudectd said:
Wow!!! Definately keep us updated on the progress of this shoal. I hope it's a successful one....
[snapback]960375[/snapback]​
Yeah I am curious as well as to their progression. Glad they have been successful so far.

919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sharpteeth said:
and i've only got 1!
wish i had a big enough tank to keep more!
[snapback]961031[/snapback]​
There is nothing wrong with that. They are a wonderful solitary fish. Keeping them together is very challenging and demanding. But keeping them separate assures you will always have a show quality fish.

This fish can be very territorial, and quite nasty to tankmates. Even in large tanks, their exists the chance of death due to cannibalism. They have a common interest of eating fins, and preying on the weak. This combination will always leave a possibility of death, or require immediate sepperation. It is sad but true.

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
Nice Shots

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Even on killintime photo you can see regeneration and bit fins. Fairly common with this species. In one of my 55g tanks, I have 1 S. sanchezi that is growing gorgeous, while its tankmate has suffered the brunt of bit fins. That's the nature of the beast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts