Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Well, my irritan has gotten sick due to him regurgitating a piece of tilapia that I didnt catch. I believe that is the cause at least. I went to look at him on monday, and he was really sluggish. Checked water parameters and all were good except nitrates were 80+. Cleaned the tank (25%) and found a piece of tilapia from at least a few days before. On tuesday I cleaned it again (25%), and he was still just sluggish. On wednesday I checked on him again and he was still sluggish and kind of head down. I did a small change again because nitrates were still over 40. I got them to about 20. I added some salt to hopefully lower the stress level. Now he is on the top, still upright, but not looking good at all. I dont think there is much I can do besides hope. To anyone who reads this, try to have good thoughts for the irritan. Ive had him since I joined the site, so I really am having a hard time with this.

update at bottom

Scroll to bottom

Attachments

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts
Thats one beautiful fish. Ill try to toss some good Karma his way. Have you tried some extra aeration? Keep doing them water changes. Do a big one if thats what it takes. I have confidence that his condition will improve over the next 24 hours.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Good luck... you may as mentioned want to add an aearator to his tank to just pump the water full of oxygen, you may also want to turn up the heat to 82-84 degrees and keep the lights off and keep his life as stress free as possible.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Yeah I dont know what to tell you, as long as you have had him, I doubt he got something from the wild....lol......

Look him over real good, make sure no body marks, check his waste. Unless you recently added some decor or plants.

I know a few years ago, one of my tanks the fish started breathing heavy, checked my ph had crashed???Never could figure out the problem, fixed it and they were fine.

I think I would add some extra airstones as said....

move to disease forum...

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I added the airstone just a little bit ago. He's still alive and kicking, and I actually saw him hovering near the bottom, which he hasnt been able to do for a while. I think he's getting better, but its definitely not in the clear. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Update: The irritan is stil acting the same. Sitting at the top of the water column with his back touching the surface. It seems to me like it could be a swim bladder issue. Whenever he dives down, its head first, and he stays angled head down as he treads water. He doesnt stay down long, and then is at the top where he stays. This is pretty much what happened to my elong almost a year ago before he died. All I notice when looking at him is that there seems to be a slight bulge in his belly, but he hasnt eaten since monday, and that was just one small bite. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Is it possible that its dropsy?

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
Good luck. Probably the best Irritan on the board.
Probally an argueable point for the rest of the irritans owners on the board

What I would do is take a core water reading and see if anything is out of check. Is the Ph whack? The next thing I would do is think if there was anything you added new to the tank in the past few weeks. Having nitrates that high isnt good for the fish for sure, but 80 imo isnt going to kill a fish (short term). Does he have any other signs of sickness? Sores? fungus? I would also suggest doing small daily water changes for him until he starts improving. Maybe say, 15-25% water change daily. I really hope the little guy pulls through. You have had him quite some time and it would definetly suck to lose such an awesome fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
try to give him some vitamine...

Sera Fishtamine

6-7 drops / 50lt

I have the same problems with my Sanchezi... and the next day , swimming again

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fish is continually getting worse as time goes on. This cant be just high nitrates, but something more serious. Again, he has a small bulge in his abdomen area. There is nothing else out of the ordinary besides he looks pretty pale. If anyone can help please let me know.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
If you notice scales raising at the belly bulge treat for Dropsy. Maracyn 2 I believe is what you want to use. It may be constipation causing an organ to press against the swim bladder. Try feeding him a frozen pea. It will act as a laxative. Hopefully he just needs to pinch a loaf. Good Karma tossed to the Irritan. GL.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasnt comfortable putting the maracin in yet, so I got the peas. I tried that before with my elongatus when he was sick, and he wouldnt eat peas. The irritan doesnt like them either, however a little trickery got him to eat it. I rolled it around in some beefheart juice and he ate it right up. That was at about 9:45 am today. Its now 12:00 noon and I looked it on him again. It's weird. I have been checking on him from the opposite end he sits at, and this time after about 30 seconds he came over to investigate where the light was coming from. He's still not so stable, but this might be a good sign. Im going to wait and see if the scale issue develops before putting in any maracin two.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's still alive, which honestly was a surprise. He still sits near the surface of the water, but is slowly becoming more active. He ate again yesterday. I got this stuff made by Kent its called Zoe, and its a liquid vitamin additive for fish food. Ive been putting it on his food just in case he has some sort of defficiency. Anyway, things are looking up as of now, but he's still not acting normal yet.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, good news. It seems this has worked and he is indeed coming around. He is still pretty skittish, which he normally isnt. He isnt stuck on the top anymore though, and that is a very good sign. I am attributing the problem to a combo of high nitrates and possibly some sort of diet problem. Whether it was constipation or the fact that he has only been eating tilapia for a while remains to be seen. All I know is that 1. a reduction in nitrates 2. Feeding of a pea 3. salt 4. liquid vitamin on food, is what I did to rectify the problem. It seems that he will come around fully, but i will update on that when the time comes. Thanks everyone for the support and advice on this issue. Merry Christmas!

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Well, good news. It seems this has worked and he is indeed coming around. He is still pretty skittish, which he normally isnt. He isnt stuck on the top anymore though, and that is a very good sign. I am attributing the problem to a combo of high nitrates and possibly some sort of diet problem. Whether it was constipation or the fact that he has only been eating tilapia for a while remains to be seen. All I know is that 1. a reduction in nitrates 2. Feeding of a pea 3. salt 4. liquid vitamin on food, is what I did to rectify the problem. It seems that he will come around fully, but i will update on that when the time comes. Thanks everyone for the support and advice on this issue. Merry Christmas!
That was ingenious of you soaking the pea in the beefheart juice. Glad things are looking up for you and your Irritan. Merry Christmas to you to man....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts