How many pairs have laid eggs?

That would be crazy to get two pairs let alone 3-4

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
How many pairs have laid eggs?

That would be crazy to get two pairs let alone 3-4
3 pairs have now laid eggs! in fact, here they are, 3rd pair's batch, easier to see and get good pics, compared to batch/pair 2.

if i get a 4th pair... i dunno, all the 4th male has to choose from is one other one in good shape and the one that's blind in one eye, we'll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
i don't have the time to start a new thread about the first batch of fry. i have off from work tommorow, so i can post a lot more then. here are some quick pictures of the 1st batch in their 40g. i am gonna be even more conservative in my estimate and say about 500+ fry, now. still hard to tell because they like to pile on top of each other, and a lot like to hang around the base of the sponge filters. if you look @ the lower right of the tank, you can kinda see what i mean about them piling on top of each other. it's kinda nice, that many fry, compared to the thousands rbp produce each time, will make maintenance easier, somewhat...though i should have 3 pairs spawning regularly, perhaps every 2 weeks, we'll see...

i will for sure try and get some zoomed in of the fry, clear shots, tomorrow. i took a ton of pics but none turned out really good as far as zooming in on the fry

right now, i have to transfer the 2nd batch to their 40g!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
MORE PICS!!

And are the fry going to be for sale once they get to a reasonable size??

And congrats now all I want is a breeding pair of RB. Good job on your macs!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Holy artemia nauplii primetime! You're gonna need one mother-lode of brine shrimp eggs! I hope you bought a pound can. Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Can't wait to see pics (or video) of the little buggers feeding!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Primetime, How long have you had this shoal? If I got it right you bought these guys from S.A., and they are from Argentina? How big were they when you got them? Sorry for all the questions, but even though these may have ben bred before, you may provide more information from all your pairs/spawns to hobbyists than has ever been documented before. The theory about the dif. in fish from Argentina is a pearl. Keep on posting, and keep those brine shrimp eggs hatching! Your gonna need a lot more baby brine than you ever imagined if you try to raise all the nests.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Primetime, How long have you had this shoal? If I got it right you bought these guys from S.A., and they are from Argentina? How big were they when you got them? Sorry for all the questions, but even though these may have ben bred before, you may provide more information from all your pairs/spawns to hobbyists than has ever been documented before. The theory about the dif. in fish from Argentina is a pearl. Keep on posting, and keep those brine shrimp eggs hatching! Your gonna need a lot more baby brine than you ever imagined if you try to raise all the nests.
i've had them for a little over 8 months. they cohab very well and only get nasty when the temp is up, like it is now. otherwise after a few weeks there fins are near perfect.

these are from S.A., and i got them @ about 4-5", they are all about 6" now. they are from NE BRAZIL. The ones from argentina are probably more aggressive and harder to cohab.

the first batch ain't doing so hot. a lot of losses already. there was so much debris in it i ended up changing about 6 gallons of the water, which would be around 15%, i think it may have been too much in the beginning and shocked them. there is still probably a couple hundred, so we'll see. it's that or something fungal related, as george/SA pointed out. i did go ahead and add some of that methelyne blue (or whatever the correct name is), to both of the fry tanks that are up. so it should be a good base of comparison to see if more survive in the 2nd batch. i'm gonna do smaller water changes from now on, too, in case it shocked them too much. i did use water from the parent tank, so i can't say for sure what is going on.

looks like the first batch will be ready for bbs tommorow morning. i'll post more when i have more time...

pt

·
Registered
124 Posts
Primetime, Thanks for the update, and for setting me straight on which country they came from. Hey, a couple hundred fry is still one heck of a lot. Look forward to updates (and pics of free swimming fry!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Primetime, Thanks for the update, and for setting me straight on which country they came from. Hey, a couple hundred fry is still one heck of a lot. Look forward to updates (and pics of free swimming fry!)
especially if its just the first out of three batches

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello mate looks like your doing ok there
how many have youlost to fungus so far ?
on the pics above it looks like there is about 200-300 fry maybe

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
hello mate looks like your doing ok there
how many have youlost to fungus so far ?
on the pics above it looks like there is about 200-300 fry maybe
probably have lost a little less than half. that has to be it because all my parameters on the tank are good. unless somehow they got shocked by a slight ph flucuation. i did treat the 2nd tank, as well as the first, with some of that methylene blue, so it should be a good base of comparison. i gotta suck out dead bodies and some of the debris on the 2nd tank, so i will bbl with an update.

i have some free swimming in the first tank, but they still have some of their bellies full w/ the sac, so tomorrow will be first feeding w/ bbs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congratulation from all french piranhas keepers. I'm jealous !!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
thanks for the kind words. i will have some updated pics up later tonight, of both fry tanks, a 40g breeder and a 40g long. i think they probably shooting out around as many fry as was documented on the article on the Opefe website. probably 500-800, possibly more. it's nice compared to RBP because each tank will be easier to maintain, since i've seen firsthand the thousands they can shoot out.

i've been thinking about what i am gonna do w/ the third batch when i get home from work. I need to decide whether to toss a divider in the 2nd tank, a 40g long, or put up my 75g that's sitting in my garage. i'm probably gonna toss up the 75g becuase i will need it sooner or later. i've been using "Tetra Safe Start" on fry tanks because i need(ed) them to cycle quickly. it seems to work well, from what i can tell. it's supposed to be as good, or even better than biospira...at least that's what the people at an LFS are saying WHO SELL IT. anyone have opinions on that product, if they've used it? i've been using it, along with cycling the tanks w/ some hob filters i had on the parents' tank, the 125g.

other than that, the 4th male has not bred, and i really didn't expect him to. he was kinda nest building, but i don't know that there is anyone left to hook up with. not much selection left, unless the females sleep around, hehe. i did seriously lose track of exactly whom each pair is in the tank.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts