Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
i know some of you enjoy reading these logs, hence this documentation.

My first two batches are still, each, in 30g tanks. unfortunately, with the very first batch i have ever had, in a 30g breeder, i lost the vast majority of my fry at just under two weeks into it. i went from a few thousand, anywhere between 2,000-4,000, down to about 300-400 right now. most of them died within a 24 hour or so, window. in the pics it is the tank on the right hand side. I believe the mistake i made was not kick starting the cycling process, quick enough, or if i did have the tank cycled, i may have messed up the already cycled tank by squeezing the sponge filters too much and, more importantly, taking them out of the tank and rinsing them of the brine shrimp caught on the filters. i tend to believe it was my messing up an already cycled tank. The reason for this is that they didn't start dying much, until almost two weeks after they had hatched. also, i used cycled hob filters and biospira on the tank, even after i had a rhom in there for a few weeks.

right now both tanks are doing well. i havn't had any, maybe a few, in the first batch, die. the 2nd batch of a few thousand, just a small handful every few days, mostly getting sucked into the sponge filters. this should cease, though, within a few days when they are strong enough to pull away from the suction, as the first batch has already done.

i've been feeding live brine shrimp, few times a day, for the most part, as well frozen every once in a while. i'm debating whether to start the first batch on bloodworms. looking at the closeup pic of the two fry from the first batch, what do you guys think? they still love their bbs, so i'm unsure, though i was told by another member to do it once they start to look like real fish. i may just toss a little bloodworms in there and see how they take to it.

i've been doing only one water change per day, though at the rate of 30% or so. i'm gonna start doing two per day, at about 25% each, at least on the 2nd batch since there are many more fry than in the first batch.

the biggest mistake, i keep making, is overfeeding them. i've been cutting down the amount i feed each tank at each feeding, but i still get alot of bbs leftover, either sinking to the ground or staying at the water surface. it's due to me being overly concerned that they are getting enough to eat at feeding time. it can be tough, as well, to accurately measure how much they are getting, as it is deceiving how much bbs there is...there is alot more, it seems, than what you think they are getting. even this morning though, i cut down on how much to give them, and still it was too much for the 2nd batch of fry. it will be more of a concern as they get larger, as it will take more work to keep the tanks clean. i'm gonna be more diligent with it and feed them very small amounts at a time, until they all look like their bellies have bbs in them.

the next big step for me will be deciding on, and the setup of my grow out tanks. i have two 75g's and a 55g to choose from, for now.

other than that, i can't think of anything, but if i do, i will note it in a later post.

here's the pictures:
1)both fry tanks: 30g each
2)first batch closeup
3)2nd batch closeup
4)2nd batch cloesup
5)two fry from first batch...time for bloodworms?

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, i should also note i tossed the parents into my other pygo tank, a 75g, with 3 terns and a piraya. i did it to slow em down, lol, as far as breeding. it would have been overload to have a 3rd batch, by now, which i'm sure there would have been. they are back in there own 75g, for the past 4-5 days, so it should be interesting in how long it takes em to pop out another batch, get seksi time.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
few more pics. you can see how they lump together, alot, they did it especially after i put a light on the tank. the real closeups are of the first, older batch.

when you see this many fry, you have to wonder how many survive to adulthood in nature. gotta be a very small percentage.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uh oh, lol, looks like the 3rb batch is on its way...stepped outta the room for a few hours and now the pair is going at it.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
if you ever want to sell the parents im interested

good luck with raising tose fry

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
You owe me a report!
<--- no real reason for emote.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
discus fish would be worth your time, that is what i'll be moving into later on, what do you plan on doing with your breeding reds?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Where you at again, Prime?
I might make the rip to add another pair to my collection... Maybe not.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
discus fish would be worth your time, that is what i'll be moving into later on, what do you plan on doing with your breeding reds?
gonna sell the pair, and like i said in my pm to you gonna only keep p's and breed something else. i thought about discus, we'll see

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Well, whatever it is that you do get into, good luck to you friend. I'm sure you've gained much knowledge from your breeding experience with reds, ain't it lovely? Lot of work, but lovely nonetheless.

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
blue dempseys, if you remember Hollywood was a p breeder, he is now breeding blue dempeys and selling them

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know this is a late post and all but your frys looked great. Sorry to hear you stopped doing it..I know that you had tried to hard with great success to get them to breed in the first place. I understand about the permit junk and having to sell them over the net is a pain...Good luck either way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts