Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a rbp!! I am so excited!!! He is cool, 2".. I named him Barabus. He is quite active for a fish in a new tank: not hittiing any walls, not hiding in the corners. He is exploring the tank. He ate some flakes. What should I feed him? I guess beefheart and shrimp, which i will get tomorrow. Sometimes he hides in a little hideout, with is one large flat rock proped up by two small rocks. He sits underneath there and comes out to explore the tank. He is so cool. I have two more on order. If anyone could give me some tips about the first few weeks with piranhas i would be gratefull.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Congratulations, sounds like it's doing good. Theres not really anything different to do in the first few weeks than any other time, feed him and change some of the water once a week, and they'll be fine. You're doing something right, mine usually hide behind the log in the corner of the tank

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
first of all congrats on your new fish.
as for the first few weeks just keep it well fed try pellet as its a good food for them to eat and try the other foods you mentioned to give it a varied diet.
give the natt time to settle in to its new enviroment and try not to stress it out too much
keep up the water changes and give it a good enviroment to live .
i see you have a 55g so adding the other 2 will be better when they come in.
good luck and enjoy
dixon

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
try feeding him some plankton...it is very good for the because it is high in protein, which will in turn make him grow fast.

oh and congrats on the new fish

·
I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,689 Posts
Great man!!!
Enjoy your fish..........

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where can i get plankton? that isnt a grocery store thing is it? Another thing, he seemed to tolerate the light before, so I took some foil off the light and now he doesnt like the light, should i let him get used to it? or should I put some foil back over the light? Because now he likes to sit next to the heater, but when i turn the light off he swims around.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Definitely don't give him too much light...I would put the foil back. And you can feed him bloodworms, brine shrimp, pieces of whole shrimp from the grocery store (uncooked), fish fillet (uncooked), beaf heart, and you can even try tiny feeders if you like, but be careful with the feeders....make sure they don't have any diseases feed them sparingly. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
JesseD said:
try feeding him some plankton...it is very good for the because it is high in protein, which will in turn make him grow fast.

oh and congrats on the new fish
LOL...plankton??
Isn't that the stuff out in the ocean invisible to the human eye? Or is there a different kind of larger plankton?

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
congrats and have fun with the little devil

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Nice...good luck with it...
!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
yeah nice find he must be a daring lil' p mine also just hid in the corner for awhile but good luck anyway!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts