Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My emperor 400 is probably 3 months old (ordered from big als). now the water does not come out like a waterfall, it just trickles fast. I changed the filters and took it out and cleaned it, this helped but still not like a waterfall.

Is it possible the impeller is bad? why so fast am i having problems?

·
Registered
219 Posts
have you opened up the motor, and looked at the impeller? Just pull it out and clean it, maybe a whole bunch of stuff just got stuck in it, and is slowing it down. I think youre supposed to clean the slime off it every month anyways. Other than that, i wouldnt know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tyourkie66: Did you read my original post? I did buy mine from big als. Less than 3 months ago. I would think it is built to last longer.

Razor, snow and glowin, i am taking the emp400 apart to clean again in a few minutes. i will know soon how it works.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hope it works out just fine. Also where is your water line? my 400's or 280 will do the same if the water evaporates to low. I think it even says it in the lil manual they send, i think. Good luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, the advice and luck worked!

Ok this is what i did: take a toothbrush (clean and disinfected of course) and take the emp400 completely apart. I brushed the impeller (which had some plant roots or something wrapped around it) and stuck the toothbrush inside the hole where the impeller goes, and cleaned the stuff out.

After throughlly cleaning it, and using hot water and high pressure, i put it all back together and it flows like new. I am sure if i changed the filters it would flow even easier, but i am all out right now.

So thats basically what i did. What causes all that buildup inside the filter? because inside my aquarium the glass and rocks and water are sparkilng clean but inside the filters it looked like gunk was caked in there.

By the way: I took the emp400 out and cleaned it a couple weeks ago BUT i didnt do the toothbrush trick and it helped but not as great as it did this time. So i guess thats the "secret".

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
razorlips,

Yes i did get the white wire brush that came with emp400, but didnt like it. It just doesnt have the strength of a toothbrush or sponge when doing the inside walls of the filter. its good for the tube though.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stupid emp 400! this morning i had to take the stupid thing apart and clean it again. whats it been? a week or week and half?

How often do you guys have to do it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.