Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Me and my dad started building this stand about 3 weeks ago in our spare time. We went to the local sawmill and picked out the wood that I liked. I picked ash.

In the first picture you will see what the board looked like when we got it. Then we just joined them together to make the panels and raised-panel doors. The inside of the cabinet is birch plywood and the top center section where the tank sits, and that I surrounded with ash so when the tank sits on top you wont see any of the birch plywood. We used tung oil and I put 12 coats of Polycrylic on it, along with sanding with 80 then 150 then 260 then 320. So its a super smooth surface. Inside of the cabinet you see a cord hangin there, that is a light that I mounter inside of the cabinet, I just havnt drilled the hole in the back yet to conceil it.

The base of the cabinet is made out of 14 2x4s, deck screws and Gorilla Glue (if you use this stuff dont plan on taking it apart in one piece after it dries!)

Here are some pictures of the process.

I am putting the tank on it today so I will post pics when it is all setup!

Hope you like it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That is very nice. like the differen colors in the wood. I dont think you will have to worry about the tank being too heavy for that stand. That SOB aint going no where..

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
Awesome job on the stand

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks everybody for the comments!

I am going to be putting a 106 gallon tank on it. 60x24x17

Cant wait to set it up. Then I am going to trade my p's in for about 7 one inch p's.

Me and my uncle carried it down in my basement to my room and I thought both of our backs were going to break! I bet that thing wieghs close to 300-350 pounds. The reason we built it that strong is I dont see how the stands they sell in the stores are sturdy enough to hold anything. Plus I have spent alot of $$$ and I dont want it on my floor.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
thats a awesome diy stand .

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Your stand looks awesome
I know what you mean about stands from stores. I bought mine from a store and it does not look like it should be able to bare the weight of my tank and creaks a lot

I know you said you are going to drill a hole for that cord but are you going to have canister filters or other things that will sit under the tank where you may want to just open the back entirely?
Again sweet stand

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
LOL!!!

Good job, but dude... you went way overkill.

Congrats on building a stand that could hold atleast 5000 pounds!

Turned out very nice

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just a estimate of how much it cost you? I was thinkin of building my own stand too. And something tells me you did that for half of what a lfs sh*t stand would cost.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mattd46612 said:
Just a estimate of how much it cost you? I was thinkin of building my own stand too. And something tells me you did that for half of what a lfs sh*t stand would cost.
[snapback]962557[/snapback]​
I havnt added it up to be exact but I am thinking I spent about $400-450 on it + alot of time.

Thank you for all of your comments.

I am just curious and so is my dad on how much do you think that we could sell a stand like the one we just made for?

·
The Man, The Myth, The Legend
1,279 Posts
very nice work... possible overkill but thats good

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
nicely done I love a sturdy stand,looks good too

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are a couple of resent shots. I drilled holes for the hoses for the cannister filter and lighting.

I also filled the tank up with sand and water and put a big piece of driftwood and a couple of decorations from a tank that is currently setup. So tomorrow I need to go get some lights for it so you can actually see in the thing..

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
wow amazing stand

1 - 20 of 68 Posts