Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought 6 3-4"caribe about 3 months ago, when I got them in the mail theyre water was almost gone and the box was leaking, 1 was dead and another was almost dead.....died a month later......I have 4 now and feed them everyday, mostly bloodworms. I have a 125 with 2 emp, water is at 82 constant and all water levels are good except for my PH which is like 9.........has been a battle since I got the tank. They seem happy and are aggressive but look almost the same as when I bought them or close to it. Could theyre growth have been stunted?? if so how do you fix that? Any ideas guys/gals????????????????? Thanks for reading and your help!

thanks
Ray

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
I bought 6 3-4"caribe about 3 months ago, when I got them in the mail theyre water was almost gone and the box was leaking, 1 was dead and another was almost dead.....died a month later......I have 4 now and feed them everyday, mostly bloodworms. I have a 125 with 2 emp, water is at 82 constant and all water levels are good except for my PH which is like 9.........has been a battle since I got the tank. They seem happy and are aggressive but look almost the same as when I bought them or close to it. Could theyre growth have been stunted?? if so how do you fix that? Any ideas guys/gals????????????????? Thanks for reading and your help!

thanks
Ray
Maybe that's why....you should feed them variety different food...such as fish fillet, shrimp, scallop, silver side, talipia, etc....3-4" should feed them 2-3 time a day and water 30% weekly....the fish you got the more filteration you need and also keep your temp 78-82f...as for your ph...add a driftwood would help lower your ph.

pygo is a fast grown, 3 month it should grown a bit already...

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Agreed ^^

I think that the bloodworms are too small for that size fish. Besides, a varied diet will help them grow. As stated, weekly water changes will also help.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think your fishes are growing you just can't tell. You seem to have a big tank and seem to be doing the right thing so I'm sure your pygos are getting bigger, you just can't tell.

Hater

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

thanks
Ray
Maybe that's why....you should feed them variety different food...such as fish fillet, shrimp, scallop, silver side, talipia, etc....3-4" should feed them 2-3 time a day and water 30% weekly....the fish you got the more filteration you need and also keep your temp 78-82f...as for your ph...add a driftwood would help lower your ph.

pygo is a fast grown, 3 month it should grown a bit already...

[/quote]

very well said man...make they're diet a variety, my buddy is feeding his nickle sized p's bloodworms right now, not meant for big bad ass fish like caribe....

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
try adding some prazipro. because they are cariba and are wild caught they will likely have tape worms which can slow the growth.

also feed a more variend diet like shrimp and other fishy foods like smelt or fish fillets.

also water change 50% of the tank weekly and another filter i suggest at least a cannister, something with room for lots of bio filteration. nitrates will slow your fishes growth so changing the water or live plants are the only way to remove nitrates.

hope i help

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Also, a med called Levimsol can be used to treat internal parasites. Ex0dus has some, and you buy it from him by the gram. I treated all my wild fish with it as a precationary thing.

Stunting is perminent as BS said.

Bloodworms are a treat, not a staple diet, and are usealy given to 1-2" P's. 3" + fish should be taking on much more food than what you are supplying them with now. A varied diet of the catfish filets, talapia, raw shrimp, etc. is what they should be eating.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yes as is seems u r not doing them nay good feeding them just blood warms spesh at that size right now i have 14 lil half inch reds in my 100 and iv only had them like 2-3weeks and oready they are alot fatter and growing well for this spesh while they are young u need 2 feed them like 2-3times aday small amounts always make sure that they eat it all if not after like 2hours remove wot is left, im feeding my babies on cockle, brine shrimp , gama shrimp blood worms cubes beef heart, ox heart, lance fish,

send us afew pics or post some when u can of ur set up wud be cool 2 c.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.