Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
my rhom just bites off the tails and leaves the rest of the feeder fish there. he doesnt mess with them at all after he eats the tail. i thought i should try something smaller so there are a dozen guppies in there now that he hasnt toched. i have had him only 3 days. any thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Sometimes Serras will tend to do that, just kill the fish and leave it lay.

My suggestion:
Don't feed him any more live fish. Get him on a much healthier diet. I could be mistaken, but I believe that I left you some suggestions in your thread in the Feeding and Nutrition Forum.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
feed him on shrimp, tilapia, worms, squid, catfish fellets,silversides. try to not give him feeders as a regular diet. once in a while is ok but not on a regular basis

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a rhom about the same size and did the same thing with feeders would bite the tail off and thats it. I keep feeder guppies and rosey red minnows in his tank but I also feed him shrimp, freeze dried krill and catfish. The only way he will eat the catfish fillet pieces or the whole shrimp is if I tie it to fishing line then hang it in the middle of the tank I'll leave it overnight and he bite chunks out of it but wont eat the whole thing. Because the freeze dried krill floats I tie that with fishing line to a rock so that the krill floats up 6 to 8 inches from the gravel and he usually comes out with the lights off and takes the whole thing. I have a crayfish in with him right now with plenty of places for it to hide, Helps with eating the heads of the rosey red minnows that get left. Another thing is my rhom hides during the day so feeding is done at night.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Very bad habit to get such a young fish into eating live food.Once they get hooked on live foods it can be difficult to get them to accept other foods.As mentioned feeders are unhealthy to say the least..Stick with whitefish fillets,,shrimp,,,beef heart and blood worms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts