Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my tank i have had this current setup 4 about 8-10 mos and of course features 12, 4-6.5" red bellys 10 plecos and driftwood. it runs on an Aquaclear 500, 150 gallon per hour powerhead attached to undergravol filter plate. please post ne comments thanks

Attachments

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Very nice setup!
Great looking fish too!

2 things about your filtration:

1.) I'd at least double the filtration you've got there...

2.) Even though it's a pain in the ass to have to do it, I'd get rid of the undergravel filter.
You're headed toward a huge nitrate explosion if you don't.

Welcome to the site... you really do have a great looking setup there.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
that looks very very nice indeed, your reds are showing very nice colour............. good work

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice setup!
Great looking fish too!

2 things about your filtration:

1.) I'd at least double the filtration you've got there...

2.) Even though it's a pain in the ass to have to do it, I'd get rid of the undergravel filter.
You're headed toward a huge nitrate explosion if you don't.

Welcome to the site... you really do have a great looking setup there.
thank you. its bin a while since i've been on theese boards and i have forgoten what fanatics everyone is (thats a good thing) lol. so yeah explain the explosion if u would? its about time that i got my pics up. as far as there colouring goes i would attribute that to beef liver, worms, and turkey giblits lol, (i love christmas) lots of water changes and heavy graval sphioning. although with this decor setup it is quite difficult to be efficient with the sphioning. is there ne way to use the power head as a filter without the graval plate. thanks for ne input

·
ROCKINTIMBZ
6,551 Posts
hows that stand holding up.. looks a lil flimsy(not trying to be an ass) just worry since my tank stand broke a year ago

nice tank and reds BTW on that tank I would have gone with 2 XP3's(canister filters) and a couple of powerheads with the micro filter attachment

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name='RockinTimbz' date='Jan 7 2007, 12:14 PM' post='1780472']
hows that stand holding up.. looks a lil flimsy(not trying to be an ass) just worry since my tank stand broke a year ago

nice tank and reds BTW on that tank I would have gone with 2 XP3's(canister filters) and a couple of powerheads with the micro filter attachment
[/quote/

stand is doin good been almost a year and nadda. it is stronger than it looks all the weight is on the upright supports wich are 2 2X10 on each side and i have been climbin on top a few time when i have forgooten my keys and come through the window above the tank. going to build a pine stand for it in the future though

·
Registered
737 Posts
Very nice looking fish! The guys are right about the increasing the filtration, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thinking about another Aquaclear plus a canister loaded with bio media be a while for the funds though

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
thinking about another Aquaclear plus a canister loaded with bio media be a while for the funds though
That would be great.

As for the "Nitrate explosion" to which I refer...
Piranhas create such a huge amount of waste, that your undergravel filter is gonna pull all that detritis down below the gravel and into the space between the filter plates and the bottom of the tank.

It will sit there and build up, and pretty soon your nitrate level will be through the roof regardless of how many water changes you perform.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
looks good, yeah definatly get rid of that undergravel it will only be a pain the in the long run

·
Registered
775 Posts
please dont be mad because he has better luck than you. go drink some haterade. lets just post good comments. any negativety should be left out of here.
Yeah man really good looking tank.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
i had 10 reds in my 150, and 1 ac is not even close to enough.

either get an fx5 and run your ac 110, that would be your best bet,

or do what i did, i have 3 ac 110's and a hydro sponge V for additonal bacteria. this is sufficient for that tank size. def upgrade very soon tho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts