Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Im moving about four hours away here in about a month. I have 3 Ps about 5 inches long. I have a 55 gallon tank that they are in now. How would i go about transporting them to the place where they are moving? Are they doomed?

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Use a bucket with some of the tank water to transfer the P's. One that has NEVER been used to wash a car or has had any chemicals in it. I advise to spend 5 bucks and buy a new one. As for the tank, empty it just so that that the water line is RIGHT ABOVE the substrate (rocks) this way the bacteria in the rocks will not dry out and die, and also the tank will be carriable by 2 guys. If the rocks dry out you will have to start a new colony of benificial bacteria. Adding all new wter will be worse enough.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
I've transported fish before for 10 hrs max, 600+ miles. Best way to transport fish is not in buckets but in a big rubbermaid container 40-50 gal. Reason why I say container, and not buckets is because when transporting fish, the main and important part for them to have is oxygen. Its easier to distribute oxygen in one container than to distribute it in each and different buckets. Plus its also more convenient and simple.
YOu can put all your Ps in one container and buy an air raider (battery operated air pump) and not worry for a long while.. even overnight if neccessary.
Also when disassembling your tank, try to keep as much water from the previous tank, as much as you can. Equipments never to be to re-washed endangering loss of old bacteria.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
yep basically everything they have advised will be ok and the bigger the container the better .
you have also get to think about keeping it warm as well as airated
dixon

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm going to move soon and what I plan on doing is buying several buckets to house simply the much of the cycled water and take the advice of leaving enough water at the bottom of the tank as to not have the bacteria dry out. Try and keep as much of the cycled water as you can as adding too much new water could kill your bacteria.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Has anyone ever thought about hooking up a converter to your cigarette lighter and using it to heat the water on the long drive??? I have to go to NY soon and was thinking about this...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Xenon said:
Has anyone ever thought about hooking up a converter to your cigarette lighter and using it to heat the water on the long drive??? I have to go to NY soon and was thinking about this...
I was thinking the exact same thing! You could also hook up an air pump to the converter and they would be fine in there for a minute!...well oxygenated, and heated! Just keep them in a big container like rhomzilla said, and you're set!

·
18,504 Posts
Xenon said:
Mike.. Ive tried this before my trip to Oregon. I slit an old heater and ripped off the wiring off a cell phn charger. Didnt work.. Went to radioshack to get a converter.. worked!! But after 1 min *POP*!!! Fuse broke. And after going through 5 different fuses (even going a higher #), I came to the conclusion that I am not electrically inclined.

Thats my conclusion.. anyone else???

·
Registered
496 Posts
I drove a 10inch rhom from northern north carolina to ga. I had him in an insulated cooler and every now and then i'd put the heat on full blast right up to the vent where it blew directly on the cooler. I did this for about 5-10 minutes every other like 20 minutes. It kept the water nice and warm. Didn't bother me much because it was winter but now that it's summer time, might as well roll the window down as you turn on the heat.

·
18,504 Posts
Good idea.. We had ours in the trunk of the car. The heat from the exhaust rises to the bottom of the trunk which warmed up the container. Good idea, huh?!?!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Also remember, the bigger the container, the less heat loss you will have. I might wanna do the converter thing, just in case. But I think you would be okay with the battery operated pump, and maybe the car heater.

·
18,504 Posts
Besides the conversion with heaters to cigarette lighter plugs, I 've thought about battery operated heaters. It should be less complicated and surely wont give you any worries from blowing a fuse while driving in the middle of nowhere. I remembered doing this back in HS (but then again, HS was like 3 million yrs ago), so Ill trya nd see if I remember. Will post back any conclusions...

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I moved from PA to NC about 6 years ago (I am back in PA now) I moved a bunch of salt fish with me. I didn't do anything about heat. But it was August, and the heat kind of took care of its self. In fact, I used AC to get the temperature in the cab down to what would be good for the fish.

I brought about six large buckets with me filled with the old tank water. Three of the buckets had fish in them. The other three were for doing water changes en route. I also bought three batter powered air pumps with air stones (one for each fish bucket). The pumps cost under $10 ea. so it wasn't much money to spend for the peace of mind. It ended up being a 14 hour drive because of moving truck issues but I stopped three times, did a 20% water change in each bucket, and the first thing I did when I got to NC is set up a 55 gallon tank to dump all the fish in (this was before unloading anything else from the truck).

All of the fish did fine. I don't think I would have done anything differently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
As for the tank, empty it just so that that the water line is RIGHT ABOVE the substrate (rocks) this way the bacteria in the rocks will not dry out and die, and also the tank will be carriable by 2 guys.
I also have a 55 gallon that I have to move in July. Will the tank be able to be moved with all the rocks and some water in it. I'm afraid it might break. Am I wrong about this? Thanks....

cow

·
18,504 Posts
Cowman1999 said:
InSinUAsian said:
As for the tank, empty it just so that that the water line is RIGHT ABOVE the substrate (rocks) this way the bacteria in the rocks will not dry out and die, and also the tank will be carriable by 2 guys.
I also have a 55 gallon that I have to move in July. Will the tank be able to be moved with all the rocks and some water in it. I'm afraid it might break. Am I wrong about this? Thanks....

cow
I advise to put the rocks and other equipments in a bucket with the old water. You cant be too sure about not breaking your glass tank, let alone scratch the hell out of your plexi glass. Better safe than sorry man..

Know what I mean.. JellyBean??

·
18,504 Posts
oldmanweezer said:
so you think i shouldnt leave anything in the tank at all when i move?
Unless your tank is bolted down to your car, and everything is glued together inside the tank when transporting, then gravel would be the only thing I wouldn't worry about. Everything else would/could scratch or even break your tank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts