Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , yesterday I noticed a strange white substance growing on my dentis lower jaw. Kinda looked like a beard/gotee. It went away later on that night but this morning it came back. But now it looks like a piece of his skin just hangin off his jaw. Dont know wat to do. Here are some details that might help.

He was in the 20 gal long and was recently moved into this 10 gal. The tank was purchesed on boxing day. I immediately set it up with an already established filter and added a dozen goldfish. I let it cycle for 10 days. I took all feeders out exept like 3, did a 30% water change and added water from his old tank. Added wood and a fake plant from his old tank too and added some new pool filter sand. Checked all water parameters and finnally dropped him in. The day after I took the other feeders out and only left one ( wich he ate yesterday morning).

Does anybody know this desease and did he catch it from the goldies? How to cure it? Can anyone pleqase help?

3,843 Posts
Mouth rot is caused by the bacteria Flavobacterium colmnare. It has been refered to as 'mouth fungus' even though the cause is bacterial. These are Gram-negative, rod shaped bacteria, which move by gliding across a surface.

Like many bacterial diseases, poor water quality is a major factor in triggering the disease. Sudden changes in conditions such as temperature and bullying may also trigger it, and the disease is common in newly imported fish. Possible cures are anti-bacterial medications which should cure this disease if used promptly. At later stages, the bacteria may invade internal organs, in which case only antibiotics may be effective. Several strains exist which vary in their virulence or aggressiveness.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think h'es gonna die today.............hes struggling to stay afloat and the rotting has spread all over his jaw and face. His mouth is wide open and his lips seem to be gone. Very sad day for me ...........heading out to lfs to see if I can get some meds and hope its not too late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.