Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to try to feed my 3-4in reds a mouse.......i hope they eat it. i fed them frozen pinkies before. should i try a frozen mouse first?

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
If you are really really really committed to feeding them a mouse first, throw it in the freezer for a while to kill it to be a little more humane. I would make sure you are committed to this as the mouse is gonna make a nice mess of your tank and possible make a huge mess to clean up. If I were you I would just stear clear of the mouse.....its cool and all but there is much better food for your p's.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Xenon said:
If you are really really really committed to feeding them a mouse first, throw it in the freezer for a while to kill it to be a little more humane. I would make sure you are committed to this as the mouse is gonna make a nice mess of your tank and possible make a huge mess to clean up. If I were you I would just stear clear of the mouse.....its cool and all but there is much better food for your p's.
:nod:

so if feeding; the freezer method helps alot... and make sure since its the first time they are fasted for a while to encourage investigation and avoid ignorance

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I too would like to attempt this soon.. but what do you guys mean freeze it in the fridge to be a lil more humane??
Does that mean I put a live mouse in the freezer and wait for it to get all frozen up???

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
RhomZilla said:
I too would like to attempt this soon.. but what do you guys mean freeze it in the fridge to be a lil more humane??
Does that mean I put a live mouse in the freezer and wait for it to get all frozen up???
hahaha..i was think the same thing...freeze to death..what a sucky way to go..put it in a bag and bang him against the floor..quick and painless

·
18,487 Posts
thePACK said:
RhomZilla said:
hahaha..i was think the same thing...freeze to death..what a sucky way to go..put it in a bag and bang him against the floor..quick and painless
HAHAHA
"put it in a bag and slam him against the floor"
Or put it in plastic bag and hit it with your slippers.

I dont think thats being humane.. but then again, freezing it to death isn't either.

Honestly, what did you guys mean by that?!?!

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
yes please do tell

as i was thinking of doing it also, i want to have some people over next week and i was seriously thinking "mouse" or possibly larger "feeder" but whats this about the freezing you got us a little puzzled why would they want to attack a frozen hair ball

·
18,487 Posts
NIKE said:
i was thinking of doing it also, i want to have some people over next week and i was seriously thinking "mouse" or possibly larger "feeder" but whats this about the freezing you got us a little puzzled why would they want to attack a frozen hair ball
Freezing a mouse I dont understand, unless it was being sold already dead and frozen.. other than that, I really dont know any pet store or LFS that sells frozen mice.

The reason why Xenon and Snow adviced to feed a frozen mice, is so that the mess of all the gutts and blood wouldn't pollute your tank and would be easier to clean up after. Another reason is that, to some, its inhumane. Plus I forgot to mention how a frozen mice wont try and climb on to your heater, filter, electric cords..ect, to try and escape out of the tank.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
RhomZilla said:
that would be a funny sight..hahaha..die damn it ..die...and they do sell frozen mice ..its called mice on ice...find them at petco...

·
18,487 Posts
thePACK said:
RhomZilla said:
that would be a funny sight..hahaha..die damn it ..die...and they do sell frozen mice ..its called mice on ice...find them at petco...
AHHH.. good info, Raf!!!
I knew freezing it yourself alive was totally off!!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
RhomZilla said:
thePACK said:
RhomZilla said:
AHHH.. good info, Raf!!!
no problem...but i think mike meant to put the live mouse into freezer..to freeze it to death

·
18,487 Posts
thePACK said:
RhomZilla said:
thePACK said:
RhomZilla said:
AHHH.. good info, Raf!!!
no problem...but i think mike meant to put the live mouse into freezer..to freeze it to death
Hmm.. wonder hows that possible without the mice running all over or snacking on my frozen foods until he freezes to death?!?! Tie its feet together and hear him squeal to death???

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
thanks for the info guys
have you tried pinkies if so how many could six rbp's take down
i tried a larger feeder way back and it made all the water oily, do pinkies make a lot of mess, the thing is we all have to go to a wedding gathering that evening so i won't have time for cleaning out a tank, so what would be the best sug?

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Tie its feet together and hear him squeal to death???
its a ho-down...hahaha...ride them cowboy

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Seriously...highly recommended as eutanazia method...take a look at OPEFE´s!

·
18,487 Posts
Mr. Hannibal said:
RhomZilla said:
Seriously...highly recommended as eutanazia method...take a look at OPEFE´s!
Honestly, the statment I typed was an idea I've read from OPEFE. It was kinda ironic how the previous statements talked about being inhumane, but killing a mouse by "swift death" is considered a good method. Thats why I followed up with "hitting it with your slippers in a plastic bag", only to be sarcastic.

·
Registered
527 Posts
im sorry guys, but a mouse is just a bit too much for me.
its one thing to throw a fish in -but a small furry creature-ah nah!

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
lastyboy said:
wuss!!!!! do u not eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because u feel that peanut was crushed and tat was cruel? lmao j/k to each his own

·
Registered
347 Posts
lastyboy said:
I feel the same way, but it is really based on my lazyness to clean the tank after the carnage. Even with feeders, my Ps would kill them all and bite them in half, but never consume the whole thing. Leaves a big mess of oil and corpses that I have to search for and clean. Pellets are so much easier, especially floating ones.

But my question is, why would anyone want to feed your Ps frozen mice? Wouldn't a piece of beef be cleaner and easier? If I fed it mice, I want to see the carnage and struggle of a living fuzzy creature. JMHO.

·
18,487 Posts
RedShoal said:
But my question is, why would anyone want to feed your Ps frozen mice? Wouldn't a piece of beef be cleaner and easier? If I fed it mice, I want to see the carnage and struggle of a living fuzzy creature. JMHO.
Yeah, totally kills the whole purpose. There were past threads about this same topic and arguments back then too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.