Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people ask me about feeding the geryi I always give them the same advice so I thought I might as well create a topic about it because for me...it has worked for all the Serrasalmus I keep.

I feed mainly catfish chunks. You can get them frozen at the grocery store and here they are like $2.00 a pound. I thaw it out in cold water...which I change a few times because it reduces the oils..... and then cut it into bite size pieces. This will vary depending on the size of the fish. When feeding...only feed them what they will eat before it gets to the substrate. IME...most Serrasalmus do not like to feed off the bottom.
What I do with the geryi is toss 2 or 3 pieces at a time..each piece about the size of a dice. I continue this until I feel they have had enough...or in the rare case they stop eating. I try to never overfeed this group. If any food hits the bottom there is a good chance it will never get eaten and need to be removed the next day. I really try to avoid this. I always leave them wanting more if I can. Im not worried about loosing a fish in this group...of course it can happen with any group of piranha...but they have been together a long time so that is not a concern.
With the irritans I cut the fish into much smaller pieces..about the size of a pencil eraser... and only feed one piece at a time. If a piece of food hits the bottom there is a 90% chance it will be forgotten...so once again...I need them to want to eat.
My rhom gets a large pieces of catfish...but only if he reacts to it when I hold it up to his tank. He will kind of beg when he is hungry...angling up to the top of the tank and get anxious for the food. If he doest do this...I dont feed him...because he will not eat. I have learned that even when he goes though is fasting..which he does at least once a year...tossing in food is just a waste unless he reacts to me or the food before I add it to the tank. This is how it is with all my solo Serrasalmus tanks. Unless the fish shows a reaction to the food before I add it to the tank...there is a probably a 90% chance they will not eat it...and I will have to fish it out the next day. This technique works really good with fish that are acclimated to their environment and you. It usually doesnt work with new fish..however..it only took a couple weeks for my spilo to come around and although his reaction is not as strong as my rhoms...it is very easy to tell when he is hungry.

I think the key to feeding these fish is to feed them when they are hungry...not on a daily schedule. There are times when my rhom will eat every day...because when I am feeding the other fish in his tank he will start the begging...however there are times when he will eat once a week. It is all up to him because he has lost so much weight when he had that bacteria infection that he lost most of his fat reserves...so we are building them up. He also goes through his fasting period...so I am not concerned about him overeating. However he is the only fish that I let dictate when he is fed. The others are fed anywhere from daily to every 4 or 5 days....unless they are juvies. I do this so when I go out of town it isnt a big deal for them to go a few days or a week without food. I think it keeps the stress level down in the tank.

Anyways...that is how I see it...and now I am just rambling!!

Questions or comments are welcome.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,888 Posts
Nice write up Jeff! This could also apply to Pygos, in a way. I find myself feeding Pygos the same way you feed your Serra shoals. Sometimes I will drop a large piece of food in there for them to fight over, but most of the time I use small chunks at a time just like you do.

My sanchezi gets fed about every 3 days. I don't really keep a schedule either, I just feed him randomly...which I guess is probably their feeding schedule in the wild too. However, he does seem to eat food off of the bottom of the tank, although this has only occurred a few times, as it is mostly gone as soon as it hits the water anyway.

Again, nice write-up! I'm sure that could be a great help to those Serra owners out there.

~Taylor~

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write up Jeff! This could also apply to Pygos, in a way. I find myself feeding Pygos the same way you feed your Serra shoals. Sometimes I will drop a large piece of food in there for them to fight over, but most of the time I use small chunks at a time just like you do.
I never tried this when I kept pygos...I would never cut up their food and let them take bites. When I did this with serras though they would tend to shred their food so it would make a huge mess..that is why I started the "bite" size feedings and it has helped a lot.

As far as eating off the bottom...I wonder if it has to do with a sand bottom vs gravel. I have been using sand for a while...so that may explain part of it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a sand bottom and my natts will eat from the bottom. They will also eat from the surface, overall i dont think they really care, they just like food!

when i drop a prawn in the tank it will sometimes hit the bottom and they eat it from there, but if they're hungry they well demolish it before it hits the bottom.

Interesting write up, thanks for that.

Bobz

·
7,344 Posts
my baby rhoms and sanchezi wont tougch food on the bottom, i hang it by a string mid tank to keep their attention... when they stop i move the string to the next tank

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thats a good method, i have used it with my reds and they seem to enjoy it. The only thing i worry about is them getting caught in the line in their frenzy.

Bobz

·
7,344 Posts
i would try a chip-clip and suction cup for reds... i only have rhoms so...wouldnt know...

·
Registered
11,757 Posts
weird, timid and easely stressed as he is my sanch will take food from the bottom, and i have sand.
but hes much more vigorous when he reaches it before it hits the bottom.

nice write up GG

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
weird, timid and easely stressed as he is my sanch will take food from the bottom, and i have sand.
but hes much more vigorous when he reaches it before it hits the bottom.

nice write up GG
I am sure there are a lot of factors that play into this in my tanks. For the most part I am talking about Serrasalmus in groups. My solo fish...with the exception of my rhom...are much more apt to eat food off the substrate.....however I rarely give them that option. Like I said...if they dont ask for it I dont feed them.

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
Nice thread GG...
!

·
ooo barracuda
6,280 Posts
yup i too feed my pygos in chunks i also find it better cause it doesnt make ur water as cloudy and with bite size pieces u can sneak some pellets and such into them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just got an 1" baby rhom and was wondering when should I feed him?

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got an 1" baby rhom and was wondering when should I feed him?
Just test him out to see when he's ready. When he is ready, he will eat. Feed him as much as he will eat, it can't hurt at that size.

~Taylor~
[/quote]
Yeah...with the little tiny guys...I cut up the food very small...or try blood worms. At 3" or under, if the piece of fish is not bitesize..I have found they have trouble biting it in half to eat.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Same thing here Jeff. I just cut up in bite size portions for all serras. The only different thing i do is throw a piece in. If it hits bottom i leave it and don't add more. Since I only feed serras once a week on average once i leave the room and check up on them later the food is gone 99% of the time. I'm gonna move this to Saved Topics. Good post.

·
Wavy
25,469 Posts
Im getting a baby rhom and eigenmanni really soon and i was looking for a thread that would tell me what to feed them! Thanks GG

·
Registered
250 Posts
How often do you guys feed a rhom? What do you use? I am having some trouble getting mine to eat. I have tried the string method once with a peeled shrimp with no luck. I am going to try it again tonight so maybe it will work. Kind of worries me because my reds eat like crazy.....anything I throw in there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts