Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Hahahaaaa... online piranha college. I'll send your certification in the mail once you write the exam.

My reward is that you found the information to be valuable. Some information is just not available in books and I just had plain had fun writing about these fish.

Hey, speaking of piranha,.... where's my lil fishie gone
My avatar just disappeared and I can't seem to get it back.

Any suggestions moderator?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Piranha Boy said:
Hey, speaking of piranha,.... where's my lil fishie gone
My avatar just disappeared and I can't seem to get it back.

Any suggestions moderator?
[snapback]912892[/snapback]​
Because of the recent software upgrade, the url-path to the image may not work anymore, or it may have been removed during the upgrade process.
When was the last time you visited PFury?

The easiest thing to do is to upload your avatar again - I hope you have it stored on your computer somewhere.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got it back again. It wouldn't download until I managed to resize it ......

.........sorry I ain't not no computer jenius

Oooh, I haven't been online for a couple of weeks or so now. Doing courses at University and I just finished an excellent exam!!

I meant to join the POTM but never had a chance to send the pic in. I'll send it in for next competition.

YOU GO KILZSESEEES!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
SO I NEED HELP MY REDS ARE ACTINGLIKE THEY WANT OUTTA THE TANK IS THAT NORMAL AND MY P.H IS AT 7.5 AND THE PETSTORE IS CLOSED FOR THE EVENING WILL THEY BE OK'\

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
So they want outta the tank. What size is it? That's an important factor as is the contents such as decorations.

How many fish do you have? How long have you had them?

Overcrowding and bright, unnatural habitats will make these fish very, very skittish. They could be panicking and there is a real possibility that without a cover you may lose one or two....let's hope not.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
amazing read, i am year late
thanks Piranha Boy

·
Registered
370 Posts
youre good piranha boy! an expert i must say

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Thanking you kindly gentlemen... err or gentlepersons (in case there's a female present
)

Here's a pic, albiet somewhat darkly, of Kilzsesees trying to bite my nose off..
I tell ya, if there wasn't any glass between he and me, I would be sporting a skull right about now.....

.... I've already lost five (5) pieces of my fings over the years.

·
The man
1,835 Posts
Piranha Boy said:
Thanking you kindly gentlemen... err or gentlepersons (in case there's a female present
)

Here's a pic, albiet somewhat darkly, of Kilzsesees trying to bite my nose off..
I tell ya, if there wasn't any glass between he and me, I would be sporting a skull right about now.....

.... I've already lost five (5) pieces of my fings over the years.

[snapback]1046319[/snapback]​
I am going to nominate you for an information award. I am stunned by the detail and knowledge you have imparted to us lucky readers. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
61 Posts
very nice info read it all right now!

i was wondering if you can tell us how to set up rbp tank? i would love it if you did i want to know how to set up my rocks, plants, and drift wood thanks - Justin

and i was wondering what is black water? how is it made? can i get some from anywhere? and is it healthy for the rbp? is it more natural? GIVE ME INFO NOW!!!

VERY NICE INFO GOTTA LOVE IT!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just1nK4ng said:
and i was wondering what is black water? how is it made? can i get some from anywhere? and is it healthy for the rbp? is it more natural? GIVE ME INFO NOW!!!

[snapback]1080806[/snapback]​
You can pick up some black water addative at most shops that sell fish supplies (at least I have found that to be so on Long Island). It doesn't make the water black, but more of a yellowish brown. More natural looking and, supposedly, makes the P's feel more at home. You have to remove any carbon/charcoal filters because they will remove the stuff pretty quickly, but other than that, it is pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Why thank you so much kind readers. I do appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I know there are a few of them and they may seem to go on and on

I just got back from the field where in Labrador, Canada, I am doing salmon and trout rehabilitation projects where developments have altered their productivity. I am sorry I am late in responding to the latest posts.

mdmedicine, I truly appreciate your kind words. The only reward for me is to know you enjoy and can put into practice some of my experiences that may work for you and your fish.

Justin, black water extract is nothing more than natural tea which can be derived from the slow seepage of tannins, fumic, and other organic acids from dead leaves. When the waters flood in the Amazon and other rivers the waters flow over the land where there are substantial amounts of trees and plants. The dead leaves and barks of these plants, along with wetland organics, are what releases the water-staining colors.

One thing black water does is to mimic the scents and flavors of the natural waters. I use a slightly different approach in maintaining the "tea" color in my tank rather than buy the expensive, and short-term bottle of Blackwater Extract. I did use a bottle once but it never lasted long. Therefore, I began using actual leaves and pieces of real bark, allowing them to soak and settle on the bottom of the tank. That way it constantly releases its organics into the tank. Occassionally I will open a fresh tea bag and dump its contents into the tank and let the little pieces settle out and steep slowly. Unfortunately any filter in the tank will begin to collect them. I don't use filters myself, rather I let the natural system run using infusoria and vegetation living in the water.

I find my fish is really responsive to it's environment which is partly due to being able to smell it's natural components rather than living in an odorless, sterile tank. These fish have incredible senses of smell, remember, and need to feel they are in the right environment.

I am going to put together some posts with details on creating a natural system in a fishtank, or "pond in a box" idea which I am convinced is what is encouraging my lil' fella to behave as if he's in the wild. As far as he's concerned, he's where he's supposed to be and shows no signs of wanting out of the tank. In fact, he's just as comfortable in the tank watching everything going on outside as we would be watching tv!
...... hmmmmmmm... now come to think of it, we ARE his television!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Piranha Boy said:
Why thank you so much kind readers. I do appreciate you taking the time to read my posts. I know there are a few of them and they may seem to go on and on

I just got back from the field where in Labrador, Canada, I am doing salmon and trout rehabilitation projects where developments have altered their productivity. I am sorry I am late in responding to the latest posts.

mdmedicine, I truly appreciate your kind words. The only reward for me is to know you enjoy and can put into practice some of my experiences that may work for you and your fish.

Justin, black water extract is nothing more than natural tea which can be derived from the slow seepage of tannins, fumic, and other organic acids from dead leaves. When the waters flood in the Amazon and other rivers the waters flow over the land where there are substantial amounts of trees and plants. The dead leaves and barks of these plants, along with wetland organics, are what releases the water-staining colors.

One thing black water does is to mimic the scents and flavors of the natural waters. I use a slightly different approach in maintaining the "tea" color in my tank rather than buy the expensive, and short-term bottle of Blackwater Extract. I did use a bottle once but it never lasted long. Therefore, I began using actual leaves and pieces of real bark, allowing them to soak and settle on the bottom of the tank. That way it constantly releases its organics into the tank. Occassionally I will open a fresh tea bag and dump its contents into the tank and let the little pieces settle out and steep slowly. Unfortunately any filter in the tank will begin to collect them. I don't use filters myself, rather I let the natural system run using infusoria and vegetation living in the water.

I find my fish is really responsive to it's environment which is partly due to being able to smell it's natural components rather than living in an odorless, sterile tank. These fish have incredible senses of smell, remember, and need to feel they are in the right environment.

I am going to put together some posts with details on creating a natural system in a fishtank, or "pond in a box" idea which I am convinced is what is encouraging my lil' fella to behave as if he's in the wild. As far as he's concerned, he's where he's supposed to be and shows no signs of wanting out of the tank. In fact, he's just as comfortable in the tank watching everything going on outside as we would be watching tv!
...... hmmmmmmm... now come to think of it, we ARE his television!!!

[snapback]1097460[/snapback]​

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Thank you bjmarche. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I was in Labrador doing fish habitat work.To answer your question, I'm from St. John's, the most easterly and oldest city in North America. Tell me what you know about Newfoundland my good man.

Speaking of fish habitat. As I tell the guys working near the rivers, "if you're good to the river, the river will be good to you". This is a river in which I put some giant spawning beds for the salmon last fall. The beds are full of tiny salmon fry as many spawned there last year. I cast a few flies about 1/4 mile upstream from the beds and had some of the best fly-fishing I ever had. Caught 6 lovely salmon, including a large 83cm fish. Released all but two of the smaller ones for the BBQ. Incredible fishing to say the least.
Conserve your fish habitats and one can experience amazing results.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.