• Let them stay in the spilo tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move them to the redbelly tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Ok, this is the deal: tomorrow I'll be getting a small spilo. It will spend his first couple of months in a 15g.
The problem is that currently two small (1,5-2") silver dollars are inhabiting that tank (besides some tetra's and cories, but they're quite expendable, and will provide good company and meals for the acclimatizing spilo...)

I only have those silver dollars for about two months now, but I'm starting to like them (they're quite funny and active little critters, although pretty skittish and shy...)

My question is: should I leave the in the 15g, where they most likely face a quick certain death, or should I transfer them to my redbelly tank, in which a lot of community fish are already living? They'll probably get shredded anyways, since my reds don't really seem to like newcomers (once a fish makes it through the first 3 months or so, there's a good chance they're in there to stay), but I think they have more chances of survival in there...

What you guys think?

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
If you´re really starting to like them transfer to the Pygo tank... i personally think they will die one way or the other...wish you luck...!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
i personally think they will die one way or the other...
That's what I'm thinking as well, but they might, just might have a tiny chance to survive with the reds (these silver dollars are remarkably fast, my reds are pretty tolerant towards other fish, and they're also just a bunch of lazy bastards...
)
And if they're killed anyways, well, at least it's in a much bigger tank...

Vampor (what happened to your name?): besides the silver dollars, there are also 3 cory cats and about 15 small tetra's in the 15g, so he'll have plenty to "play" with...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Jonas ,

give 'em a change to survive with your pygo's,
but they maybe eat down all your plants! like cows!!!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Azrael said:
Hi Jonas ,

give 'em a change to survive with your pygo's,
but they maybe eat down all your plants! like cows!!!
Well, let them try: all I have are very tough-leafed plants (anubias), and java fern, which, so I heard, contains a mild toxin to keep herbivores at bay... Well just see what'll happen - maybe they don't even get the chance to start mowing down the plants...

btw: I've just made up my mind - I'm gonna put them with my reds. I hope the little rascals will make it...
And if not, tough luck...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dear Jonas, it is your decision, but I wish you luck...and if not, maybe they are are good meal...

So I am waiting for new spilo, hope to see him soon !

I have seen some gold spilos of 10-12 cm at an importeur,
some years ago, but they were impressiv !

The shining gold belly with the blue back, like titan.metal,

you have to watch with your own eyes !

Keep him a little dark!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Thanks for the info, Azrael
I'll get the little spilo tomorrow, around noon: I'm pretty psyched up about this, to say the least - it'll be the first time I'll see a non-nattereri piranha in real live

About the silver dollars: we'll just see how they fare in their new home. They're already exploring it a little...

Here's two pics of them (I decided to shoot some pics of them before they'll be suitable for the "Share the Carnage" thread...
):

*edit*
goldfish chunks in teeth said:
give them to your LFS
I thought of that as well, but it's all on such short notice I won't have time to do that... I have to work tomorrow, and I barely have enough time to meet that guy and have the fish handed over (I'm already sacrificing lunch to do so...)

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
i say put them in the reds tank since u like the sd
but i just got a better idea how about another tank

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Yea your silver Dollars will have a better chance in the Reds tank. From all of the pitures I've seen of your Reds tank it looks very heavily planted giving them more hiding space.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would say if you want them to live, get a completely seperate tank for them. I have a 3 inch gold spilo and it eats EVERYTHING I put in the tank. My favorite food for the spilo is earthworms. It slurps them up like spaghetti and its stomach gets huge.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
they are dead?

Metynnis mola?????/Mylossoma aureum????? - silver doller

This species I have not seen before, I am sure it is most likely commen enough, I am not even sure what species it is, I was going to suggest putting them with your reds as they may have a chance, but I guess it is too late for them now.

it is a shame

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Innes said:
they are dead?

Metynnis mola?????/Mylossoma aureum????? - silver doller

This species I have not seen before, I am sure it is most likely commen enough, I am not even sure what species it is, I was going to suggest putting them with your reds as they may have a chance, but I guess it is too late for them now.

it is a shame
Damn, now you're telling...

I thought they were just the common silver dollars (M. hypsauchen)...

Innes, I did put them in my redbelly tank (for I thought they would have a better chance to last than with the new piranha), but I guess they thought they had enough tank mates already, so they made a quick meal out of them. Not quite the expected result.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts