Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Diamond Rhom in a typical 55gal with canopy and I'd like to add some moonlights. I checked ebay, but wasn't sure what to actually get. How many LED's do you think i should get? I also heard that white illuminates the tank so much better than blue. Anyone have experience with them?
Suggestions?

Thanks - Mike

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I have a Diamond Rhom in a typical 55gal with canopy and I'd like to add some moonlights. I checked ebay, but wasn't sure what to actually get. How many LED's do you think i should get? I also heard that white illuminates the tank so much better than blue. Anyone have experience with them?
Suggestions?

Thanks - Mike
i have blue colored led strips that i converted to plug in instead of battery....i suspended them under my middle brace on the top of my tank....it lit up somewhat but i would suggest going with white, just to have the lighter effect

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Blue is much better for moonlighting since it simulates actual moonlight.
There are a few different kinds and it really depends on your actuall tank setup. Some there are some little modules that you can install into an existing light strip. each has a pair of ledxs on it. Then there are the full on LED bars. These are def the best for full spread but only are asthetically pleasing if you have a canopy and can't actually see the tube.
There are also spot light types that clip onto the rim of your tank. those don't get as good of spread either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well luckily i have a hood so i was planning on going with the led strips. I'm really stuck between the blue or the white though???????

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
well luckily i have a hood so i was planning on going with the led strips. I'm really stuck between the blue or the white though???????
if it were me, i'd go with the blue. i would try to go with the more realistit look. and seems like more people use blue ones, but it all depends on personal preference.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Blue simulates moonlight. White simulates daylight.
If this is to view at night and give your fish comfort then blue is really your only option. otherwise you might as well just get a low wattage florescent.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I have tried both and I prefer the white... just my personal preference though, I wasnt trying to simulate moonlight as much as see whats going on in my tank at night.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
ill retract my previous statement, and agree with BS on that one....you want to try and simulate the best of they're original habitat just to put some comfort into your fish....try the blue and see how it works for you

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input. I ordered the blue last night. Got a 48" strip with 24 led's in it. I'm thinking that will be plenty bright enough to shine through the glass lids. I'll post some pics once it gets here.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Thanks for your input. I ordered the blue last night. Got a 48" strip with 24 led's in it. I'm thinking that will be plenty bright enough to shine through the glass lids. I'll post some pics once it gets here.
sounds like that should do the trick, definatly post pics when you get them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts