Piranhas Forum banner

Mom bought me a camera....

193 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Tinkerbelle 
#1 ·
I needed a camera for photography class and my mom, on a whim, went out and bought me one.

Essentially its the slightly souped up version of my old camera, an olympus C2030 - 3.2 megapixel which takes PERFECTLY good photos. The problem is I needed 5.0 or higher megapixel.

As a surprise my mom went out and got me a 7.1 megapixel, Olympus SP-510UZ. Here's my problem: How do I take decent pictures without them being grainy, or blurry? I can put it in sports shot and put on the anti shake control and get a DECENT picture, if and only if the subject is pretty still. BUT, when I open everything up to its full 20x30" or whatever size in photoshop, instead of being beautifully clear like my 3.2 megapixel camera was, its grainy as hell!!!

So now I have this supposedly awesome camera, but no clue how to make it actually BE awesome.

#3 ·
I'm pretty sure i have it on its highest setting.... i'm slogging through the CD manual they sent with it... kind of a pain in the butt cuz its digital and not very portable. the portable 'paper' manual goes through turning it on and that sort of SUPER basic crap.

#7 ·
I am no pro, but I am pretty good with photoshop, try to use the filter to reduce jpeg noise, also look into getting rid of the "moiré pattern." This is a very useful skill you will need to survive in the PS world. It opens you up to a massive world of possibilties because once you have mastered destryoing the moiré pattern, you can seemlessly integrate pictures from old books and magazines into your everday high-resolution pieces. Good luck tink. BTW, make sure u get mom a VERY nice present for mother's' day, that is one expensive @$$ camera.

#10 ·
yes, i'm working on learning how to do so. it has a setting where i can fiddle with all of those but i'm slightly scared to, to be honest with you. I do want to experiment with it but as i'm not entirely sure what they all DO yet i'm hesitant. The guide someone posted that you wrote is quite helpful but letting more or less light in- how much is too much?? can the shutter speed be too fast? what works best for photographing animals (since I know you do, and as well as being used in this class, the camera doubles to take puppy pictures and puppies are WRIGGLY!)

I have the ISO set at 50 at the moment, I was reading the manual and it mentioned the lower the ISO the less grainer it'll be. I have noticed with flash pictures do come out better - its just frustrating that I still feel the pictures are better on my OLD camera, but I can't use that one (even though i'm totally comfy with it and know what all the buttons are for!) because it doesn't have a high enough megapixel rating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.