Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I picked up 2 cigar shaped cichlids, blue with horizontal stripes. They look awesome, had them for about a month now. They go after feeders pretty aggressively even though they are only ~ 3" long. I was told they were mogani, or mongani cichlids, but I cant find any info on these guys. I see them at that LFS all the time so they have to be pretty common, but maybe I just have the name wrong.

Anyone out there wanna hook me up with some info on these guys? And maybe their REAL name

Thanx.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'll take a bit to get up some pics, as my camera is down, and have no where to host them at the moment :sad:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
if you cant give a pic you will have to describe them better, or draw a pic.
but I suggest you ask at the shop for the scientific name.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh, and since I'm on a roll (and cant delete posts :sad: ) here's ANOTHER post with a further back shot to give some perspective: next to a severum (~4") and a P (I think its one of the 4 inchers).

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
to me it looks like pseudotropheus auratus, but in blue.
I can't ID it, but I'm sure someone else can.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx.

I went today and they are MOINGANOs. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

And innes, I think what you are talking about have vertical stripes, not horizontal.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
jabster said:
Thanx.

I went today and they are MOINGANOs. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

And innes, I think what you are talking about have vertical stripes, not horizontal.
I did a website search on moingano and got no results, and I also found a site with info on the fish I described it as simelar to.
http://perso.club-internet.fr/vmillat/trop...eus_auratus.htm
and as far as I know they do not have vertical stripes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.