Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three 5- 5.5 inch reds in a 125 gal and I just got 5 3-3.5 inch reds and wondered if it would be able to add these smaller p's with minor problems? Would it be better to use a divider and wait till the smaller ones catch up in size a little?

Thanks for any info!

P.S Very informative and Great overall site!!
I cant get away from it!!

Thank again.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Its hard to say for sure fishman. Every aquarium is different and each fish acts differently within those tanks. I recently added two 7" Reds in with my two 6" Pacu's and they are totally fine with each other. But that being said, I've heard many horror stories in these posts about the bigger P's taking out smaller ones. You can't know for sure what they'll do.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It depends on if there are many territories claimed or if you have a good shoal. With mine they developed a nice shoal when I added more piranhas including one that was around 2-3 inches smaller than the rest. They all get along and swim around and play with each other.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking maybe since the tank is a bigger one that they will have the room and not bother each other?
Who knows?
I dont want to loose any!!!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Recommendation per piranha is 20 gallons per piranha but I have 14 reds in my 80 gallon until my 180 gallon tank gets here and cycles and my piranhas shoal very nicely and rarely ever fight or nip at each other.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You can try it out and see how it goes...observe how they react...you can try putting your larger ones out of the tank in a bucket and place the smaller ones in first and let them acclimate and then reintroduce the larger ones.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
You can't say for every instance. But i have done it many times and with success

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
its hit and miss adding fish but the size difference is not that great .
rearrange the tank before adding them and feed the old ones before doing that .make loads of hiding places big enough for the new reds and too small for the large ones they may hide for a while but will come out .i have added a 4'' piraya with 2 5'' plus reds and it seems ok but keep an eye on them for any bad reaction
dixon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts