Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am just wondering about mixing different P species with my 6 rbp's i have now. There still babies at about 2", but i want to make additions before they get too big and decide they don't wanna share there tank. i've heard that mixing Cariba or Pygocentrus Nattereri with RB's will make the RB's more agressive (any truth to this?)
Also i live in Nova Scotia, Canada and coming across some of the more exotic P species is hard. Does anyone know of a good canadian dealer or a US dealer that ships to Canada? Any help would be awsome !!

P.S. What's the deal with Rhoms? i've heard alot about them on this site but don't know much about them...

·
Registered
135 Posts
you can mix them with other pygocentrus: cariba/piraya as long as there is not to much of a size difference(1-2") rhombeus are from the serrasalmus family nearly all of them are solitery fish the rhombeus is one of the biggest when adult and one of the most aggresive along with s elongatus irritans and brandti if you have one shoaling tank the next time you buy a set up be sure to put a monster 12" rhombeus in there

·
Registered
985 Posts
wildwildwes said:
Hey guys,
I am just wondering about mixing different P species with my 6 rbp's i have now. There still babies at about 2", but i want to make additions before they get too big and decide they don't wanna share there tank. i've heard that mixing Cariba or Pygocentrus Nattereri with RB's will make the RB's more agressive (any truth to this?)
Also i live in Nova Scotia, Canada and coming across some of the more exotic P species is hard. Does anyone know of a good canadian dealer or a US dealer that ships to Canada? Any help would be awsome !!

P.S. What's the deal with Rhoms? i've heard alot about them on this site but don't know much about them...
Nattereri are red bellies. You can mix cariba, ternetzi and piraya with them. A rhom would eventually own the tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pygocentrus Nattereri=RB ...You can get just about any Pygo's to shoal with each other. Ternz, Cariba, Reticulated Natts...But with 6 rb i wouldnt get any more unless you have a good sized tank. If u do tho i would go with ternz, cariba's are more likely to kill some of your RB's unless the RB are a little bigger than the cariba. Good Luck. BTW i think www.belowwater.com ships to canada, but there's a $300 minimum order I believe. Check the buy and sell section, there's a listing of dealers there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
by the way if you want to get some different piranha try www.sharkaquarium.com or www.fishpost.com both of them have a large selection of piranha and will ship to most places

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
iLLwiLL said:
how big is your tank, and what kind of filtration are you using?

~Will.
exactly..whats the spec's first?

pygos can go together-ternitzi,red bellies,piraya,cariba

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just added a caribe to my shoal. A few days and so far so good. He's about 1" smaller than my reds, but I can tell he's gonna be a bad ass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I've got them in a 90 Gallon with a wet/dry trickle filter i built myself (which works better than any filter i've ever bought, and i'am figuring it can handle a BIG bioload on it, it consist's of a 25 gallon sump with multiple chambers for bio-balls, carbon, peat, sponge material etc. plus a few other things i built in) and a Hagen fluval 404. It's just the 6 red bellies, a fair sized pleco, and a green severum (who is being moved soon!). In september i am expanding to a 130 Gallon tank and figured i could probably get creative with other types of piranha's...if that size would premit it. Nattereri=rb's ..Duh..i think i was still half asleep when i posted that one
..haha
Also at what size do the little buggers start eating plants? i have a load of nice plants in there and so far they haven't messed with them.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
if you want to add more pygos to that tank then you need to get rid of some natts.
if you want mixed then sell 3 natts and get 3 cariba and if money is no problem then you could add a piraya if you are definately upgrading to a bigger tank as you said.
pygos grow quickly so from 2-6'' should only take 3-6 months min/max depending on water conditions and enviroment + varied feeding so a bigger tank will be a must.
dixon

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You should get rid of some of your Reds (3 or more) and replace them with Caribas (trust me on this one, you won't regret) if want to keep them in your 90g for life (sorry, no more than 6 Pygos in there for life)...or you can add some Caribas to your shoal if upgrading to the 130g (up to 9 pygos in there for life)...anyways you can mix any Pygo specie (Nattereri (even yellow ones=Ternetzi-Terns), Cariba and Piraya) but forget about the Serra species, you can't mix Pygos with Serras...good luck...
!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts