Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew!

Lots of new photos of the tank tonight. About the only fish that were hard to get pictures of were the wild Nattereri, since they're prone to hiding in the upper right corner of the tank in the canopy between the driftwood and the watersprites near the waterline. Those guys and the three 4" Piraya -- the Piraya just move *constantly*, and are hard to get stationary pictures of. I tried to focus on the new fish (one 6" Piraya, thre Cariba at 4", 5" and 6", and three Wild Nattereri ranging from 3-4") mostly.

(Hopefully I can get some video during feeding time later this week.)

Anyway, on the the pictures!

Various shots of the 125 Gallon Tank

Full "Day" Lighting

Full "Day" Lighting Angle shot

Right Side Driftwood 1

Right Side Driftwood 2

Left Side Driftwood 1

Pygo Trifecta: Ternetzi, Cariba, Piraya

Tank Shot w/"Day" Lighting & Room Lights

"Dusk" Lighting w/Right Side Driftwood

Full Tank shot w/"Dusk" Lightning

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On to the Fish:

Smallest New Cariba in the background (4")

Another shot of the 4" Cariba, on top of the right side driftwood

Left: New Cariba (6"), Center: New Cariba (5") w/Flash

New 5" Cariba in right-side driftwood

New (5") Cariba again

New 6" Cariba

Incumbant 7" Cariba & new 6" Piraya (bottom)

New 3-4" Wild Nattereri in Right-side driftwood

New 3-4" Wild Nattereri (was a little banged up when I got him)

Side view of 125 tank (left) w/4" Piraya (center)

Another 4" Piraya cruising the tank

All 3 4" Piraya "stalking" feeders in the driftwood & watersprites

Another shot of the 3 4" Piraya, hunting Feeders

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New 6" Piraya w/Flash (what flames!) -- flanked by Ternetzi & Cariba

New 6" Piraya

New 6" Piraya (other side)

"Rear" shot of 6" Piraya

Incumbant 7" Cariba, 6" Piraya

8" Ternetzi & New 6" Piraya

7" Cariba & 6" Piraya

6" Piraya in the "Dusk" lighting

5" Ternetzi

Another 5" Ternetzi

8" Ternetzi

Boo! 8" Ternetzi under the driftwood in "Dusk" Lighting

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Stunning! Doesn't get much nicer than that.

I'm picking up my 125g this weekend. I can't wait to get to work on it.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Speechless...BRAVO!

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Very very nice matt. Those piraya are sweet.
You have a very nice setup too! Have you fed them any big feeders? Good job on th pics too. It must have took along time to get those good of shots.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the comments, guys! If I had the time I would've posted 100 photos of this tank, but then it'd get repitious and boring, lol! I can't stop just staring at it now. I've finally got that "mission accomplished" feeling with the tank that's taken over three years (almost four) to get there.

x-J-x -- You don't want to know. I think I've spent around $1000 at SharkAquarium alone in the past 6 weeks. Outside of fish I've had pretty much everything. The plants in there are all ones that have grown out from just 2-3 original "bunches" and the big chunks of driftwood on the left side I got at an LFS (the ones on the right I got myself).

Some of the old fogies around here that are from P-Fish would recognize this tank (maybe, it's changed a lot), but this was the same tank that I had 12 Nattereri and four pairs spawning at one time about 3 1/2 years ago -- when it wasn't all that common to have *one* spawning pair, let alone four at once. I created a daily journal and handed out tank info (temp, parameters, water changes, etc.) that really helped a ton of ther hobbyists help their Nattereri spawn.

Then the tank had minimal driftwood and a virtual forest of hygrophilia. A lot has changed since then!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Raptor -- Forgot to answer your big feeder question: Nope, not yet. Not in a while, anyway. With the little fellas in the tank I'm kind of apprehensive, since they could get a little overzealous and want a piece of the action only to fall victim to "friendly fire" when my bigger pygos zoom in for a morsel.

Xenon -- Those are watersprites. They grow *incredibly* fast. I've got to thin it out constantly (actually, I thinned a good portion out a couple of days before these pictures). The effect is best when the left side is completely covered and just a few rays of light sneak through. The piranhas love it.

The best part about it is that the feeders hide in it (they eat some of the algae on them, the roots, etc.). The biggest Ternetzi (and now the small Piraya have taken a cue from him) will actually go vertical (nose up, tail down) and his eyes will dart back and forth looking up at the watersprites looking for a feeder, then -- BAM!! -- he explodes on the feeder and comes away with a little "salad" with his meal.

Hell, you want some??? Damn near everyone that's gotten fish from me or been over to my place I've given a few bunches to. (I think I should start pawning them off the the LFS around here.)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.