Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have a mixed predator tank?
I only have experience with keeping P's...so I don't know jack about other fish.

For example in a 125, what kind of pred. fish could you put together?
Like dwarf channa, cichlids, catfish, etc...

Or is it best to have species only tanks?

· tap or snap
10,596 Posts
predatory community tanks can be done, you just have to know what you're doing. you can't mix all types of fish. for instance, larger cichlids are very territorial, so putting two large ca cichlids in a smaller tank is a set up for disaster.

the same applies for other fish like wolffish and snakeheads. there's the possiblity of one fish killing it's tankmates, so you have to find which ones you want and which ones are compatible.

· Registered
468 Posts
like everyone else said it can be done easily, but every fish has a diff. personality so theres no gaurentee. ive seen all kinds of preds mixed though

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hyphen said:
so you have to find which ones you want and which ones are compatible.
[snapback]844949[/snapback]​
Yeah...the problem is that I don't know what are compatible.

I don't really know what to do, or even what fish I'm interested in.

Any suggestions for a 72"x18"x24"?

· tap or snap
10,596 Posts
Sam said:
Yeah...the problem is that I don't know what are compatible.

I don't really know what to do, or even what fish I'm interested in.

Any suggestions for a 72"x18"x24"?
[snapback]845050[/snapback]​
well, do you want oddballs? cichlids?

you just need to find a predator that is predatory towards fish smaller than it.

i.e. you can't mix a 10" wolffish with a 3" midas.

here are some preds that can be mixed and matched with caution:

-knife fish [those these get huge, they won't last too long in your tank]
-datnoids [these get big too, but take a long long time]
-arowanas [these also get really big]
-african, ca and sa cichlids.
-bichirs
-snakeheads
-certail fw eels
-certain gobies

take a look into some of the species of fish, their max size and predatory personalities. research and ask

· Registered
221 Posts
One of my tank is a 125gallon: 72"x18"x21"(not including molding).
The occupants are as follows:

(1) 8" female orange midas
(1) 7" male jaguar
(1) 6" male jaguar
(1) 4" jaguar (sex unknown)
(1) 4" motaguense
(1) 6" texas (sex unknown)
(5) 3" white convicts
(4) 3" stripe raphael catfish (for clean up) (night janitors)

They all had been together for 4 months with no big problems other than flaring.
However, I put my 4" red devil (sex unknown), in the tank and it chases everything even the bigger jaguars, and fought for 1/2 hour w/ the texas cichlid.
However the 8" female midas will try to kill the 4" red devil non-stop, even w/ me trying to stop the chasing. So, now its on its own 10gallon tank temporarily.

By the way, as they get bigger some of this fish will be turn in to lfs for credit. Ill keep the nicest looking of the bunch as they mature.

So, yeah you can mixed aggressive, as you can see w/ my very aggressive fishes, it can be done. But it boils down to individual fish and trial and error.
But once you got the tank pretty stable. Its pretty rewarding to see all the flaring and some fighting here and there. Most entertaining of all my tanks, beats even my 150bow african show tank and of course my (7) 7"red bellies piranha tank.

Just my 2c

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.