Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added rocks a week ago and my P's and my pleco have been hiding behind them ever since and i noticed my pleco went missing around the same time? so yesterday i was doing my weekly water change when i was dumping the water into the tank it poured water into a crack pushing the pleco out. i was like holy sh*t. that fish looked like it has been dead for day's. nasty as sh*t all rotten and white fungus on it. it had it's parts coming off from it's body and it smelled like complete sh*t when i pulled it out. but i was wondering if my water quality is ok since that's been in there? my water had a burnt smell coming from it before the water change. also did my p's kill it? there only baby's and have no teeth?

·
Registered
652 Posts
they have teeth but maybe he got stuck under the rocks some how. and yes check your prams thats not good have a dead rotting fish in your tank. and if there where no sing of the pleco being attacked then your guess is as good as mine

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they have teeth but maybe he got stuck under the rocks some how. and yes check your prams thats not good have a dead rotting fish in your tank. and if there where no sing of the pleco being attacked then your guess is as good as mine
it's fin's looked kinda messed up. but i thought since it was decomposing that's what caused it? i just went to look at my P tank a minute ago and i noticed the biggest one now has small theeth. but they haven't eaten the zebra danio's i have in there?

·
Registered
737 Posts
They have teeth from a very small size. As they grow, their biting capacity increases. At about 1/2" they eat softer tissues. At 1" they can tear up a whole fish. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate yet? It is VERY important. You could avoid a train wreck and a frantic message in the water chem forum.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
Of course there is always the possibility that your piranhas killed it, but personally I think if they did, they would have eaten most of it or at least chewed on it....
~Taylor~

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
Are there any "armored" plecos or cats that have a better chnce than others of surviving a p tank?
Rafael catfish are known to do well in piranha tanks.

Just about any large pleco will have hard, thick, bony armor covering it's body (except for the stomach-the ultimate weak spot).
~Taylor~

·
Registered
737 Posts
His P's are pretty small, so they probably injured it and it was able to get away, but died of its injuries.

(Ahem) water parameters?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.