Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh, never seen this before.

Tossed in 5 minnows earlier tonight. (theyre $1 for 5).

Sat down on the computer for like 15 minutes, got up to see how things were going and was a little shocked at what I saw.

No minnows left! not a single trace of them ever being in there. I've got 5 small red bellies. But damn, I've put feeders in a number of times and never seen them eat that fast!

Suppose they were hungry eh? heh. Guess that means they're healthy

(I also have 2 pleco's in there that remain untouched. Go figure)

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Well, they were healthy....until they ate the feeders....

Take a look around in the Feeding and Nutrition forum so that you can realize how unhealthy unquarantined feeders can be.

~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know feeders can be a bad idea, and I've read alot of the forum already

The store I shop at, I trust. I've talked to the owner about it, and he assured me they do their own breeding and I won't have any issues with parasites or disease.

I usually give my RBP's feeder guppies once every week or two, but this time I went with minnows since they just put out a full stock.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know feeders can be a bad idea, and I've read alot of the forum already

The store I shop at, I trust. I've talked to the owner about it, and he assured me they do their own breeding and I won't have any issues with parasites or disease.

I usually give my RBP's feeder guppies once every week or two, but this time I went with minnows since they just put out a full stock.
It's cool that you can trust your LSF like that, but I would ask them if they'd guarantee that the feeders wouldn't harm your fish. There's always going to be some jerk that's selling something and will tell you everything you want to hear... that's called pacifying. I hope he didn't stick something in your mouth as he sold those to you.

Seriously, do yourself the favor (if you can't trust yourself, who CAN you trust?) and get a feeder tank to quarantine them yourself if you MUST feed feeders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that feeders can b a bad idea...that's if u constanly keep feeding them with only feeeders... i feed my pir's feeders may be once or twice in 2 week... just to keep them active..

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i've been feeding mine feeders lots lately...picked up a huge batch about a month ago, so they've been quarentined in my 10g for a long time so....havent had problems with my fish at all...

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Just remember though as healthy as the minnows might be they are a member of the cynprind family and might contain a growth inhibitor in its genes..so just be careful

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I agree that feeders can b a bad idea...that's if u constanly keep feeding them with only feeeders... i feed my pir's feeders may be once or twice in 2 week... just to keep them active..
it only takes on bad one to take down ur whole tank..

me myself i fed feeders once in awhile cuz i mean they are p's i love to see them chase but just limit it if u have to... and feeding feeders is a lot dirtier so u will need to clean more often.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
The store I shop at, I trust.
There's your first problem. LOL

IMO, no feeders. Why risk it?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
only takes one bad feeder is right. tapeworm like this has a rediculous amount of segments, and each segment can become a tapeworm, so every fish that takes a bite gets a tapeworm. I found this the last time (last time ever) I bought feeders. Its not worth it.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
that pic is in the saved parasite injury section, and I just added it to Hannibals pinned feeder thread here. So now I can get this nasty thing off my computer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts