Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be building a bigger tank and get my first shoal, Whats the minimum amount I need figuring in canibalizing young, Also are a certain type of pygos easier to care for? I'm thinking I want a group of 5 when there adults.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
5 would be fine depending on tank size. Reds tend to be the easiest pygo to take care of the caribe then piraya

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
id agree with a-ronn, minimum of 5 when i comes to phygos as babies........

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I'm going to be building a bigger tank and get my first shoal, Whats the minimum amount I need figuring in canibalizing young, Also are a certain type of pygos easier to care for? I'm thinking I want a group of 5 when there adults.
Minimum amount you need? Well then there is the question how big a tank are you going to build. The number of adults to fit there depends on that. Otherwise an absolute minimum is 3 individuals for a shoal. Then more the better.
If you plan to build a 150 gallon tank, you should perhaps start with 6-8 juveniles (1-2"). Then you could some day have 4-5 adults (11" or more).
Nattereri (Red Belly) is the easiest and cheapest of all Piranhas. Start the hobby with that species.

Harry

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I agree with Harry. Start with reds (P. Natt) because they are easy and cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts